1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

My system and a few questions please

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by OldBushy, Dec 17, 2012.

1. OldBushy

OldBushy Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Melton
    SAM_0015.jpg SAM_0016.jpg SAM_0017.jpg
    Hello fellow Aquaponicsers.
    As you can see I have started my system and have a few questions that I am hoping you can answer for me. I have two Gb's 1mt x 1.2mt .35mt. One sump 1mt x 1.2mt x .45mt high and Ft 1mt x 1.2mt x .6mt high.
    So my questions are as follows.
    1 would 19mm poly pipe be big enough for the grow beds and to the fish tank?
    2 Would a pump of 1500 liters per min with a head of 1.9mt be suitable for my system?

The reason for the poly pipe I am thinking of using the black garden type as I am on a limited budget the fittings work out cheaper.
    3 Would a 25mm auto spyphon work just as well as a 40 mm one? Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

OldBushy

2. Gbanger

Gbanger New Member

Aus
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth Hills
    Hiya OldBushy,
    Poly pipe connectors reduce the size of the pipe I.d. So 19mm would be greatly restrictive.
    Always try to oversize where possible. Having said that you say your pump is 1500 lpm.
    And a quick calculation to lph makes it...... Holy cow......
    Ok so assuming you meant 1500 lph and your ft is approx 600l and the rule of thumb is ft volume every hour, running constant flow at, let's say 1M head, I think you are borderline and as mentioned earlier best to oversize.
    Purchasing PVC pipe in 6M lengths is a great way to bring the overall costs down.
    Personally for your system I'd look at a 3000 lph pump (expansion in mind :) )with 20-25mm pipe work to the gb's and using 40mm drain pipe as your drain.
    Hope this helps.

3. silloth52

silloth52 Member

australia
    State:
    vic
    City:
    melbourne
    hi old bushy
    agree with gbanger in the longrun you will probably save money
    looking at your growbed frames you may need centre pieces to allow
    for sag in the middle of the growbeds