1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

My ever growing love affair with wicking beds

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussion - Other gardening systems.' started by Sam Burton, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Sam Burton

Sam Burton Member

Its the first week of June. I planted most of my pepper plants between mid April and the first of May. I harvested a handful of New Mexico Chile Peppers this morning. My wicking beds are positively prolific. For the record, my raft AP system is still producing lettuce in the greenhouse despite the fact that it gets nearly 100 degrees F in there some days. The water temps stay moderated and the lettuces and herbs are abundant. I am exceedingly pleased.

Still, the wicking beds have become my favorite part of the garden. I am watching my two media systems gradually become the bio and solids filters for the fish tanks that also happen to grow really nice crops. The real action is in the wicking beds. By using good compost from my chickens, rabbits, donkeys, etc. and AP water for additional nutrients, the results are incredible. My fish are happy, the plants are happy, the water quality excellent, maintenance is low.

My next project is to build a section of four 3' x 12' wicking beds with 2 1000 liter FTs and grow beds as the center. Each FT will have two media beds and a raft bed. The return from the sump will have have plumbing leading out to the wicking beds as well. As time passes, I will add additional WBs. I can't wait. This wicking bed thing has me on fire. It also makes my wife happy, because she loves raised beds more than AP and the WBs make sense to her.

One of the great things about growing fish and plants together is the variety of styles and options we can explore. Variety rocks.

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    You are so on it Sam. Excellent to hear your story.
    Nature is so abundant if you just give it what it needs.