1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Murray Cod - 34 seconds

Discussion in 'What Fish is that ?' started by Vortex11, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Vortex11

Vortex11 New Member

2. dufflight

dufflight Member

Good to see they let it go again. Also that they didn't hold it up by the mouth, that can break there jaw and kill them even when you put them back in the water.

3. Psinet

Psinet Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Gruyere
    My parents own a holiday park on the Murray River. Now and then fisheries come by to do a count of the fish populations. They use a large generator/capacitor on the boat, and discharge a large electric shock through the water. This stuns the fish, and makes them float. Fisheries scoop them up, take measurements, and return them - no fish are harmed.

I cannot tell you the size of some of the fish I have seen them scoop out - you wouldnt believe me. But there are many monsters like this in every 200m or so of the river.

EDIT: That cod would have to be over 30yo

4. bigfish

bigfish Member

Good to see that the Murray River is doing well