1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Mosquitos On the Grow Beds

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by InspiredAction, Apr 16, 2014.

1. InspiredAction

InspiredAction New Member

I have a indoor System, Finally things are going well Ph Seems to be fine.

However every time I'm there i get bitten by these bloody Mosquitos.
    There all living on the grow bed. As I checked earlier today
    There is alot larva swimming around.

Any ideas getting rid of the mosquitos??

2. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Hmm... How indoor is indoor? I catch lizards regularly and put them in the greenhouse. Also have a bug zapper I crank up if necessary. Not sure you'd want lizards in the house though - although some think of them as good luck ;)

3. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

What kind of growbed are we talking about? Floating raft? If you have enough water for mozzies, you may have enough for ...

small fish, especially Gambusia aka mosquitofish <but not this particular species in Aussie apparently>.

"Mosquitofish were introduced directly into ecosystems in many parts of the world as a biocontrol to lower mosquito populations which in turn negatively affected many other species in each distinct bioregion. Mosquitofish in Australia are classified as a noxious pest and may have exacerbated the mosquito problem in many areas by outcompeting native invertebrate predators of mosquito larvae.

Several counties in California distribute mosquito fish at no charge to residents with man-made fishponds and pools as part of their Mosquito Abatement programs. - Wikipedia."

Mosquito larvae are a great live feed for small fish and fry.

4. TonyS

TonyS Active Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Bunya
    If it is in your floating raft, do you have any aeration? If sufficient, this will stop the mossies from take up residence.

5. InspiredAction

Yes it is a floating Raft Deep float system.

6. TonyS

TonyS Active Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Bunya
    do you have aeration?

7. InspiredAction

Yes i do. Only one fan for three IBC's

8. Tearaway

Tearaway New Member

They mean air from a air pump or water dropping into the tanks to make bubbles in the water Not a fan blowing over the top to keep you cool.

9. Erica Scheepers

Erica Scheepers New Member

I would also like to know how to get rid of mosquitos. I have rocks in my grow bed.

10. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Catch a couple lizards and put them in there :)

AZLiberty likes this.
  11. TexKim

TexKim Member

12. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Lots of air everywhere is the go to deal with the mossies. No problem here.

13. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    I added a dozen minnows to my DWC bed and they cleaned the larva and mosquitoes out rapidly.

Mike

14. AZLiberty

AZLiberty Member

US
    State:
    AZ
    City:
    Mesa
    We are having an onslaught of mosquito's this year due to recent unusual heavy rains. We have just set up an IBC tote system with separate fish tank and sump tank. We were thinking about adding some Gambusia fish to control the mosquito larvae. We aren't sure whether we should put them in with our Tilapia in the fish tank, or put them in our sump tank, or maybe some in each. We are wondering if the Gambusia will multiple out of control. Also wondering if the mosquito bacteria control BT is safe for use in the system. Anyone have any input?

outriggerbev likes this.
  15. Ronald Lao

Ronald Lao Member

Philippines
    State:
    Not Applicable
    City:
    Pasig City
    I don't have first hand knowledge about Gambusia, but if you have Tilapia in your fish tank then I'm sure you won't find any mosquito larvae there since Tilapia is an omnivore. My own Tilapia find the mosquito larvae I can catch as a treat.

16. Ronald Lao

Ronald Lao Member

Philippines
    State:
    Not Applicable
    City:
    Pasig City
    Red Swordtail fish!

2 weeks ago I put in 3 female Red swordtail fish to control the mosquito larvae in my DWC growbed. It worked like a charm! BUT.... I didn't take into account that one or more of my female fish might be pregnant already. So now I have itsy bitsy red swordtail fingerlings all over my growbed. LMAO!

Live and Learn. ;)