1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Miniponics or Mini Aquaponics - under 10 USD

Discussion in 'Tropical Systems' started by vinil tr, Jul 16, 2014.

1. vinil tr

vinil tr Member

India
    State:
    Karnataka
    City:
    Bangeluru
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hi Murray...its been a while since I have posted anything... A lot has been happening around my home here, construction remodelling the outdoor area. Hence have not shot any video for a while.
    However I have made a little modification in the miniponics for ease of assembly and maintenance... I will soon put up a video on the same.
    I have attached a few images of the prototype.

Will update more on this soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moormanazeem13 likes this.
  2. Chuck Wow

Chuck Wow Member

Thailand
    State:
    Kalasin
    City:
    Kamalasai
  3. Joannav323

Joannav323 New Member

US
    State:
    IL
    City:
    Chicago
    Hi Vinil and everyone,

I'm currently making my first Ap setup - a mini aquaponic ebb and flow set up with a ~5 gallon fish tank. It is essentially the same size as the one you used in your "miniponics" video so I was wondering if I could ask you and the forum a couple questions.. My first question is if I need a filter in the fish tank if the plants are supposedly converting he bacteria (also, if I get a snail could that be a solution, to eat the solid waste thats i the fish tank?) Its a 5 gallon fish tank. My second question is if I need an air stone? I read somewhere that air stones don't actually make that big of a difference in the dissolved oxygen count, and that oxygen actually dissolves best from disturbance at the water surface (so like the water draining back into the fish tank) and I assume a lot too from trickling through hydroton. I know its stupid to say, but I feel like a water pump, an air pump, air stone, and filter is a lot of contraptions in a small tank. But on the other hand I want to make sure that the few fish I do get (I haven't gotten them yet) are living in good conditions.If I didn't have a filter and stone how often would I have to clean the system? Sorry for all these questions!!!

I think your miniponics are very nice, and I really appreciate the help!

Joanna

4. moormanazeem13

moormanazeem13 New Member

USA
    State:
    Arkansas
    City:
    North Little Rock
    Please please please can you send me the specs/ measurements of the wooden stand? Did you make the stand or did you buy it prefabricated?