1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Mineral supplementation

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Rietchie Candelaria, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Rietchie Candelaria

Rietchie Candelaria New Member

new zealand
    State:
    auckland
    City:
    aucklnad
    Hi,

Does anyone know if you have a mature system, need for mineral or nutrient supplementation can be eliminated?

Thanks

2. Chesterfield

Chesterfield New Member

I don't believe it can be eliminated. If you are taking something out of the system eg plants then their replacement needs nutrition to grow. If the only input is fish food and it doesn't have all the necessary nutrients eg iron, potassium etc then you would have to supplement this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rietchie Candelaria

new zealand
    State:
    auckland
    City:
    aucklnad
    Thanks mate. I am not sure if Murray Hallam mentioned in one of his videos that a mature system can sustain any plants without any supplementation at all. I just want confirmation that is why I asked this question. I hope he can see this thread and shed us some light

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I have a number of customers that claim they have never added anything to their system other than fish food. I'm sure that's achievable if you have sensible fish stocking rates in ratio to the amount of plants in the system, and the systems are mostly planted with leafy greens, ie: Lettuce, Asian greens, herbs, etc.

Many people only ever have to add the occasional dash of Seasol seaweed extract. While those that have a high amount of fruiting plants in Spring/Summer tend to need extra additives to avoid or correct nutrient deficiencies, usually Potassium, Calcium, or Magnesium. Iron Chelate is also regularly required in new systems with high a high water pH.

Even if systems don't develop plant nutrient deficiencies, many people still find that after a few months they have to start adding certain products to combat plummeting pH, usually carbonate and hydroxide additives, such as Potassium bicarbonate, Calcium hydroxide, Calcium carbonate, Calcium Magnesium carbonate, and Magnesium sulphate... but these are for adding carbonate hardness and raising pH, not so much for fixing nutrient deficiencies.

peter lica likes this.
  5. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Rietchie,
    Mate I reckon it might be possible if the right fish feed was formulated.
    The problem is fish foods are developed for growth rate not for what's left after the fish digest it. An aquaponic feed would have 3x primary requirements (in this order)
    1/ plant nutrient requirements met after digestion.
    2/ not toxic to fish or people.
    3/ fish nutritional requirements met.
    It would take a lot of lab work and money, but if successful I have a feeling you would also become very rich. :)
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  6. Rietchie Candelaria

new zealand
    State:
    auckland
    City:
    aucklnad
    Thanks a lot Chesterfield,Yabbies4me, and Ringer. You are all wonderful:) So much to learn. I have this question as I am concern that these supplements are easily available where I am from. With that, I would really like to find a way that I do not have to depend on commercial chemical supplements if I plan to put up a commercial scale aquaponic farm.