1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Low E-glass

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by Bones, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Bones

Bones New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    King Creek
    I am wondering if anybody has any experience with Low E-glass? I am in the final stages of my greenhouse design and talking to a builder this week. From what I read, Low E-glass will assist in reducing the amount of heat that can enter the greenhouse so should assist in helping to control summer temperatures. I am not looking as this being a total complete solution to summer sizzling, but something that can contribute to general cooler temperatures when used in conjunction with other methods (mainly ventilation and air exchange).

However, Low E-glass it is not without a somewhat significant addition to the overall cost. Does anyone have any thoughts / experiences with this product? Has anyone used it in a greenhouse and what were the results?

Should also be noted that (in particular), I am desperately trying to avoid the expense of double glazing and I am also hoping to get by without the need for summer shading. I live on the mid north NSW coast so while not tropical, 35 degree days are rare but not shockingly uncommon.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    It all comes down to how much money you are prepared to spend. For me I like to try and keep it simple. An ordinary hoop house with vents and the ability to pull some shade cloth over the top in summer works well and is minimum cost.
    To each his own.

3. Bones

Bones New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    King Creek
    I have just lived through 12 months with a traditional polycarb gable style greenhouse. Have had nothing but troubles from start to finish. The polycarb is going yellow, I have troubles with wind that keeps blowing out and damaging the panels, I am forever tightening the screws which work loose due to the whole unit flexing wildly in high wind, I have had major trouble keeping it cool and the local wildlife keep trying to dig their way in. I am completely over it! Hence the reason looking at something a bit higher on the quality scale (glass), and something with a brick base to keep the local fauna under control.

Dean.Collins likes this.
  4. Dean.Collins

Dean.Collins New Member

so what did you end up looking to install any pics online?

5. Bones

Bones New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    King Creek
    At this stage my design has been finalised and I submitted the below drawing to a builder for quoting a week ago. However, I suspect it will come back over my budget and I will need to go back to the drawing board.... Fingers crossed - I expect some feedback in around another week or so.

[​IMG]

6. Bones

Bones New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    King Creek
    Below is my existing greenhouse and the location where I wish to put it if my new design proceeds. It's difficult to tell from the image, but the location is elevated - this should make it very easy to put a large tank below floor level.

[​IMG]

7. Bones

Bones New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    King Creek
    Thought I should update this thread. I got the quote back for the above glass structure - The quote came in at 80K. Yes, eighty thousand dollars. Unbelievable.

So now I have again gone back to scratch. I am currently working on a plan for a steel hoop house with straight side walls.

8. adz

adz Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Regional Victoria
    Wow you could build a small house for that.

9. Fresh-is-Best

Fresh-is-Best New Member

You've elected to use (relatively complex/expensive) retaining wall/concrete footings, slab, etc.

You could perhaps save a considerable amount using more lightweight structure on a single level and say installing 'rat walls' to control local wildlife...

All is not lost...

A hybrid is also possible with solid footings and nib wall then lightweight roofing structure....

10. David Armstrong

David Armstrong New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bungonia
    Have a look at the Redpath Greenhouses - especailly the Propagation Series - you can buy it as a kit and assemble it yourself