1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Locating a new aquaponic greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by Andrew C, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Andrew C

Andrew C New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Kenthurst
    Good Morning Folks,

I'm in the very early stages of building some form of aquaponic setup based in Sydney however at this stage I'm just doing the groundwork / research. One of my first considerations is where to place the greenhouse / poly tunnel (to be decided). I have attached a pic however I have two sites in mind.

Site A is tucked in behind a large shed. The front entrance of the shed faces north. The site gets a really good amount of morning sun and starts to shade over towards the afternoon from the shed and large pine trees to the back. If I moved it down away from the shed it would no doubt get a little extra sun. The benefit of this site is that it's closer to electricity and water.

Site B is in full sun without any trees or structures to shade however the drawback is that it isn't close to utilities.

Generally speaking does anyone have any suggestions as to which site might prove to be a better option. In addition a north south orientation seems to be the general consensus. Does this mean that the ends of the greenhouse of poly tunnel lie on a north south orientation (ie your entry door to your greenhouse faces north for example)

Many thanks in advance

regards
    Andrew

Attached Files:

2. Terra

Terra Active Member

Australia
    State:
    south australia
    City:
    Riverland
    Welcome Andrew
    Most of what is written and promoted on this subject is still based on European conditions .
    Mr Sun has more bite here for sure a bit of summer afternoon shade is worth gold
    Big ones for me
    Think winter sun how is the shed site then
    Summer sun can be managed with shade cloth
    Power water access
    Needs to be in a position so its visited multiple times a day
    If its hidden way down the back once novelty wears off and you get busy problems will be appear
    Eg A sick fish isn't noticed or plant nutrient deficiencies creep in , Pump failures ect
    Look forward to seeing your build
    Have fun

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Plus one on advice by Terra..

4. Andrew C

Andrew C New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Kenthurst
    Thanks for the prompt reply Terra, Great advice. I'll do some more research and check out the links provided.

regards
    Andrew

5. Andrew C

Andrew C New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Kenthurst
    Thanks Murray

cheers
    Andrew