1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Little Cube Alpha - My project benchtop aquaponics system

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by David Koh, Dec 12, 2013.

?

Would you want one of these?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2013.
  1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. Glen Condren

Glen Condren New Member

Hey Dave,

Are you still selling these systems?

Regards, Glen

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    This kind of thing is a novelty item, a mothers day gift perhaps. Don't expect too much from it and it will be fine I am sure. Obviously it and others like it will not work too well for several reasons, the major one being a lack of volume. Will trend towards instability.

3. Glen Condren

Glen Condren New Member

True, however these are an excellent way to introduce people cheaply into aquaponics.

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Not really, not IMO anyway. They are too small and probably more likely to fail than succeed, for a number of reasons, therefore turning people off aquaponics.

I think the smallest practical system you can really start with and expect any success is something like a single 205L blue barrel set-up. Over the years on forums etc I've seen so many small indoor systems made from little aquariums etc that have failed miserably when it comes to plant growth.

Depending on how you do it and what materials you use, you can make a great little system out of a single 205L barrel for between $120 and $200

5. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yep, sorry Glen...seen many of them go bad....not necessarily this brand but others. Had a call from a lady just the other day who purchased a very similar product, it failed and actually made her husband declare that Aquaponics is a farce.

6. Glen Condren

Glen Condren New Member

true Murray. I sometimes wonder if it because how to handle or maintain these small systems are not properly communicated.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

7. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Could be Glen,
    It is just the nature of the thing. The Aquaponicals is the best of them by far, but unless the owner applies a bit of knowledge and effort to the device it is doomed to fail. The claims of "self cleaning" and so on do nothing to help. The trouble is that they are a novelty item so most who purchase expect just to put water in a fish, a plant and "presto" that's it. A few weeks later it is all bad. pH, temp stability becomes more difficult the lower the water volume. For home systems, once you go below 1ooo ltrs systems become increasingly more difficult to maintain in a stable state. When you are down to less than 10 ltrs it is an ever present problem.

8. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    ive setup a floating raft on top of my main aquarium - ive also added a "sub aquarium" that i keep fingerlings in (My SP's as its really cold in SA and i wanna keep them growing ready for summer) its just a 76L plastic container thats inline with the filter output.
    as its a fully planted tropical aquarium i only run a few plants on top at a time, but it works well for getting seedlings going in peat cups.

The aquarium is 250L so its not very little like these ones