1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Lettuce issues - Indy 23 System

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Andrew A, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Andrew A

Andrew A Member

Australia
    State:
    Qld
    City:
    Caboolture
    Hi All,

I am having issues with my lettuce in the water beds
    3 batches and the same thing has happened
    During this time I have had lots of tomatoes growing in the Gravel bed
    approx 200 10cm Jade perches in one tank and 50 30cm Jade perches in the other
    PH around 7 all the others "0" Ammonia, Nitrate and nitrite
    I have posted some pictures, if any one can help please let me know
    I have also been adding Seasol every second day.

Attached Files:

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Some kind of bug bu the look of it Andrew. I have been spraying my beds with garlic and chilli mix with good success on getting rid of all bugs so far (except grasshoppers) but even they are reducing.

Others may have some more advices. Yabbies might have some additional info on the problem.

Good to hear from you.

3. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hard to tell from the pics. The little tiny back dots suggest it could be fungal, but it also looks similar to thrip or mite damage. Best bet is to have a look at the affected foliage with a good magnifying glass or jewellers loop and look for fungal spores and/or thrips/mites. Also, maybe remove a couple of the affected leaves and take some clear, close-up pics of both sides of the leaves and post them here.

Also, there's no need to be adding Seasol every second day, you could be creating a nutrient imbalance in the system. A weekly dose of 2-3 capsper 1000L is usually more than sufficient if the system is stocked close to its maximum safe fish stocking capacity and they are feeding well. If your readings are all 0.0ppm then you could try feeding more frequently, or larger doses with each feed... give the fish as much as they will consume at least twice per day... and monitor the Ammonia.

What's the total wet gravel volume of the media beds in the Indy 23 Murray?

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Indy 23 wet gravel is 3000 ltrs Divide by 25 = 120
    The overall volume of the beds combined is 3250 ltrs so take off 250 leaving 3000. If the beds are not full to the top then take off another 250 ltrs to be conservative. That will give 2750 of wetted gravel /25 = 110
    Additionally there is the two swirl filters which are effective if cleaned regularly.

Together that should make a capacity of 100 to 110 safely based on the wet gravel method of calculating fish stocking density. 50 per tank.

5. Don Arnold

Don Arnold New Member

USA
    State:
    Mississippi
    City:
    Pascagoula
    if ya can Murray whats the ratios on the garlic an chill mix