1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

its about time i did my own build thread ...

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - DIY' started by yoodles, Oct 7, 2014.

1. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    Hi All,

apart from some pics in my intro thread i having really put much up.

my initial system has been added to, subtracted from and everything in-between while i muck with new concepts and ideas so ultimately find my best middle ground and setup a bigger system.

the original system was 1x IBC (FT), 4x bath tubs, 2 small towers.

it then gained 2x cut down IBC GB's on pallet racking and an NFT run

one bath was removed and put in planter pots that flowed down between them (herb garden)

then the 2x cut down IBC's were taken out (system wasn't big enough to support that many GB's) (they never grow anything really well)

a 2nd FT was added, and a testing setup bathtub DWC system was added (grows really well but getting lot'o'slime in it but im lazy...

>>Never being happy ive now started to expand<<

Im moving all the fish into my shed - found a couple of ex wine vats 800L each on gumtree, and will add a fingerling tank in above it all and then allow it to have 2x IBC's pumped into the system when ever i want.

In front of this is the part made filter - 76L container - 2x 90mm inlets and 1x 90mm outlet. this will be almost full of K1 Media and will be the moving bed bio system.

i intend to build a new greenhouse outside as the "$100 ebay one" isn't really doing the trick any more (out with the gaffer tape every time we have more then a stiff breeze here)

My current system is a CHOP2 but ill be moving back to a CHOP1 with regulator taps at each point to adjust the flow, new system will have the following - 6x bathtubs, 2 or 3 cut down IBC's, large DWC raft (thinking maybe 800mm/1000mm wide and possible 2.4 - 3m long) and a run of dutch buckets and possible i might bring back the NFT system.

Paid my little brother 2x half bottles of red label i didn't want to dig out the hole for the 550L sump...

now im about the start the longer plumbing runs along the fence line to feed all the plants.

ill keep this updated with progress on my expansion - but first ill add some pics of the systems progression over the last year.

Cheers

Jesse (Yoodles!)

Attached Files:

2. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Good stuff yoodles. Hope it serves you well.
    :thumbsup2:

3. Johnny3nglishman

Johnny3nglishman Member

Gaffer tape... You must be a Brit. Not heard that one in a long time lol. Canadians look at me funny when drop that one. Then I remeber its duct tape round here! Nice looking system!

4. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    haha - im aussie so close enough.
    Gaffer tape is reinforced tape
    duct tape is what it says it is, non reinforced tape for holding air con duct work together ...

its like calling petrol gas. annoys me :p

Bryshelle likes this.
  5. Johnny3nglishman

Johnny3nglishman Member

During my thirty years in the UK I mainly used gaffer tape to bind people to lampposts on stag nights and birthdays.

I have seen duct tape used for EVERTHING in Canada. Even electrical things, which is nuts as it contains aluminium and conducts electricity... Doh!

Where they get gas from is beyond me. The stuff is petroleum spirits or distillate so it's not like they are shortening the name...

6. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    so ive been a bit lazy and doing other stuff - waiting till next weekend when i pickup my fridge panel
    built a wicking bed last weekend to give that a crack

7. Big Boi

Big Boi New Member

Yoodles,

You mentioned that you are switching back to the CHOP1. Is there a reason you no longer want to use the CHOP2 system? I am asking because I am interested in the CHOP2 design and the benefits.

8. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    going to be making the system much larger and the pipe runs will be longer, ive worked out a way to gravity everything from the fish tanks back, it will all be tap controlled so GB height wont be a problem.
    chop2 works really well for a smaller system - much less hassle in setup, you always have pressure at a tap, im going to have to balence everything very carefully in the chop 1 system.

9. maciasleonard

maciasleonard New Member

Question? How high should your water level be from the top of the media. I am starting my system and I have 11" ibc grow bed. I'm working on building the auto siphon, however I'm not sure on the proper water height. Can anyone shed some light?

10. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I've experimented with max flood levels and I've found 40mm (1.5") from the surface to be good.

You will see 25mm (1") frequently recommended on forums etc, but when I tried that height the top layer of expanded clay was constantly moist and the water loss due to evaporation was massive. I suspect there would've been an extensive algae problem once there were nutrients in the system, but I didn't leave it at that level long enough to find out.

When I dropped the level down to 40mm the evaporation loss reduced dramatically, to about a 1/4 of the previous rate of loss.

11. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    As an aside, I have my standpipes on compression fittings. Bring them up high when germinating seed, then drop them back down once the seeds have sprouted.

12. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    yeah ive found that (from memory) 1" or 3/4" BSP stand pipes seem to allow 25mm irrigation tube to slip tight over the top, so i just adjust that bit to raise and lower mine

13. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    ok, well part way thru my expansion, overseas holiday and Far Cry 4 have been getting in the way!

ive added a new DWC bed, changed over the old DWC to a media bed, and almost finished my new sump (just needs to be lined!)

Attached Files:

14. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    few more updates on the progress of the new tanks and MBBF setup

Attached Files:

15. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    Latest pics, few changes - the pipe work is half done on the MBBF (note the new drop out zones in place, will see how well these work once done (and ill explain the idea behind it all as well!)
    and a new addition to the setup is the Dutch Bucket rack :)
    IMG_20141227_103352.jpg IMG_20141228_140815.jpg IMG_20141228_194609.jpg

16. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    im a massive fan of doing most of this in dutch buckets now so ive built another rack, when plans to build a 3rd soon.
    its so easy to move the plants around (unless they need mesh behind them) but its good to have them in a more dense staging area and one they're ready for the big wide world i can just move them to a new location. also it gives me an NFT tube along the front if i pop a few extra holes in them :)

DDR-Global likes this.
  17. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    ok so its been a while since ive posted in this one - system has been running really slow as my plan cut over for fish (going from trout in dec to new fingerlings in jan) fell thru in a big way and yesterday i finally got my new fingerlings (30 Eel tailed cats and 50 MC's) once i setup a couple of extra tanks ill be ready to add more SP's and hopefully trout again

Ive changed a heap on the system and im now running a chop 1 system with a few improvements and it seems to be running really well
    Im also half way thru a new greenhouse build and will be expanding the system soon with that coming on line.

Ive scored a heap of ex fertilizer IBC's that im going to use as wiking beds along the front of my property as well - figure one side of the screen (road side) can be nice looking and then behind the screen will be more veg

anywho - ill post up when its closer to being all done!

18. bcasey2703

bcasey2703 Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Harrisville
    You'll be happy with the eel tail catfish, they are a cool fish!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good eating too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yoodles likes this.
  19. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    ok so a bit of another snippet of things to come - new greenhouse is almost taking shape

Attached Files:

20. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Yeah! :cool: Greenhouse looking excellent.
    Damb I wish I could fit one in my back yard.