1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

It is Testing---Wicking Beds

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussion - Other gardening systems.' started by Just me, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Just me

Just me New Member

Australia
    State:
    qld
    City:
    cooroibah
    OK so blame YouTube and Rob Bob.
    Well that was what got me started and I do thank the Man.
    I had 4 Bathtubs collected from near and far and as I am still playing with a bunch of jade and a messy plumbing jungle that is called my Aquaponics set, allmost-up, with an Up-set wife..."$$$$and more$$$" and "don't expect me to eat any fish you ever grow" unquote and that was with all the *** taken out.
    So, well hey I have some weed mat and some 100mm agi pipe and the 4 Tubs, so instant garden !!! Yes.
    Yes it was and is, allso at the same time I watched a "Ted" Talk by a bloke on Fungi and a forest and had a mad idea so the second wicking bathtub has a 100mm pipe that goes through the bottom of the tub to just above the sand wick in my tubs...note here I weed matted the pipes that hold the water then weed matted the sand layer so my mulch layer and the potting-cow-lake mud mixture are seperated from the sand wick, so this open to the ground/Earth pipe is above this 2nd layer of matting.
    Now what I did was collected a bunch of mulch from around our acre that had mushrooms of a few sort growing at the time this was placed on the ground then the tub was placed above with the open pipe in the middle of the mound then the pipe was filled with the bottom of some wood chip mulch ( 2 years old and full of fungi) up into the tub and instead of mulch layer I continued the wood chip to cover what would have been the straw mulch layer then in with the soil blend.
    Now as of Yesterday I am at 3 tubs built 2 std and 1 fungi Test.
    A mate is a Biodynamic Farmer and he has been watching my madness for quite a while but when I explained my Fungi test he could see no harm just questioned if being connected to the earth, though a good idea if it would use a lot more water? Down the tube sort of.
    Time will tell a lot, but transplants put in on the 3rd day Lettuce are powering as there was a good subsurface of moist soil.. here is the kicker I put the lettuce in the Fungi Tub, std Wicking Bed and Floating Raft in the green house aquaponic system...the Green House Rafts Looks like it's bolting.
    So much for that part of this test, did'nt think that as the green house is not finished it would be that much warmer even with some shade cloth where the rafts are.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Great to see you are getting stuck into it. Would love to see the photos.
    Just a tip on adding photos, click on the "Upload a File" button to add photos.

3. Just me

Just me New Member

Australia
    State:
    qld
    City:
    cooroibah
    Well there here bit big Airrig7_tn.jpg Airrig8_tn.jpg Airrig10_tn.jpg Airrig1_tn.jpg Airrig7_tn.jpg Airrig8_tn.jpg Airrig10_tn.jpg Earth 1 Fungi1_tn.jpg love the bloke up in the right hand side earth 1 Fungi2_tn.jpg Earth 1 fungi3_tn.jpg IMG_1341_tn.jpg As you can see not great ground to start a real on/in ground vegi patch.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  4. Just me

Just me New Member

Australia
    State:
    qld
    City:
    cooroibah
    Thursday 23 April
    It is now 1 week since the first bed was started, #1 std wicking bed. #2 is the bed with the hole pipe to earth/mushrooms general around the joint (bed at the rear in photos)
    So after giving both a day or so to wick up I planted 2 lots of Lettuce split between these 2 beds and a floating raft in the Aquaponic mess.
    here are the photos of that planting...Note unlike normal transplants there was NO knock back of seedlings. IMG_1349_tn.jpg IMG_1347_tn.jpg IMG_1350_tn.jpg so 1 week later Today I have a happy little bunch of campers ...except..looks like the raft mob are going to bolt. IMG_1353_tn.jpg IMG_1355_tn.jpg .
    Now my day starts about 10am with a few pills and by 11am I can walk and get about the yard, so down the back to check and my little patch of greens in a sea of straw were being attacked by 3 grass hoppers so stage 2 was put into action straight away, 1 spare roll of used poly pipe and some fence wire (please note this structure was held together with gaffa tape untill it was nice enough to wire. IMG_1356_tn.jpg IMG_1359_tn.jpg IMG_1360_tn.jpg IMG_1362_tn.jpg so test is back on track no free lunch to upset the results.

5. Quite_Frankly

Quite_Frankly New Member

So how is the test going

Quite Frankly

6. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    Give it time and research, and enjoy the ride.
    Lots of info including good and (useless waste of time) to be found on the interwebs.
    Experience is 90% but not without various referencing as well.:cool: