1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Chelates Source

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by Lemhol, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Lemhol

Lemhol New Member

Costa Rica
    State:
    San jose
    City:
    san jose
    Hi I am new to aquaphonics and have a question about my tank and a source of iron chelates. Thanks in advance...

The tank is and unused water tank reservoir that can handle 3000 Lts. Im going to turn it in the my fish container im going to adequate it for such purpose inside the tank are some old rusted iron 1/2" pipes and Im wondering if I need to cut them or leave it a a source of iron chelates? Thanks

sirustandi and omero.combi like this.
  2. Danscraft

Danscraft VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    South East Victoria
    City:
    Frankston
    I've always had iron nails in the gravel beds were the water runs in. They rust, they even bond with the stones like artificial reef. The rusted iron wont hurt at all and will be a supply of iron.

3. Lemhol

Lemhol New Member

Costa Rica
    State:
    San jose
    City:
    san jose
    Thanks for the reply ( nice Naga jolokias there).

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
  5. toffee

toffee New Member

State:
    California
    City:
    Palm Desert
    Which brand of iron chelates to use in AP and at what dosage? Thanks

6. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    You want EDDHA chelated Iron, it's available to the plants across a much wider pH range than EDTA (Yates, Manutech etc) and DTPA.

The dosage required to resolve Iron chlorosis in plants is much less than many quote of forums, youtube etc. Half a level teaspoon into 1000L is more than sufficient.

Cheers!