1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Integrated Pest Management

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussion - Other gardening systems.' started by Murray, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    IPM = Integrated Pest management. Release today into our research greenhouses the BioMites "Eretmocerus hayati". This little wasp predates on greenhouse white fly. E hayati is adapted to lay its eggs into the very damaging introduced pest silverleaf whitefly. Recently we have had an infestation of Silverleaf whitefly Bemisia tabaci (biotype b)

IPM-Eretmocerus-hayati1-sml.jpg IPM-Eretmocerus-hayati2-sml.jpg

2. Toshilama

Toshilama Member

Austria
    State:
    Wien
    City:
    Wien
    Hi. In my research have come across this new polyethylene called sterilite super thermic, which claims to cut out the UV wavelengths that the white fly and other pests see in, thus making them think its dark and they move very little once in the GH. Has anyone else heard of or tried them? I found them from a supplier in England called, xl-horticulture. They have some fact sheets on there products. Would be great if it were this easy. Cheers

3. Toshilama

Toshilama Member

Austria
    State:
    Wien
    City:
    Wien
    I've tried to attach the price list file from there web, but the forum says too large. If you look at it on there web site it has all the tech data there.

4. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    There may be some truth to this. I will follow it up. White fly is a growing problem around the world. It becomes resistant to agricultural chemicals very quickly and greenhouse growers are using increasingly toxic chemicals in an effort to control the white fly. Not here though, I am hoping that the "Eretmocerus hayati" will do the job. Earlier in the summer we had a bad aphid infestation and we managed to beat it using IPM and recently we had a new aphid problem arising and we observed the beneficial insects attack the aphids and get them under control in a few weeks. How good is that??????

5. aquaCarite

aquaCarite New Member

Hi murray you could try this...get yellow container here in PR we use the ones use for vegetable oil its bright yellow cut a big hole on one side the apply vegetable oil to the hole container and hang them in your green house. The white fly gets attracted to the yellow color and gets trap with the vegetable oil

Sent from my XT914 using Tapatalk

6. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    I got exactly the same infestation problem right now :( IMG_0253 (1).jpg

7. noodle

noodle New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    rural location
    I have found that all of the parasitoid wasps are tremendously good at controlling their host as they need them to complete their lifecycle. I have also found ladybeetles to be less than helpful in real world applications.

The problem with the wasps is that they are extremely host specific, so much so that if they kill off their host they then die off and need to be reintroduced. We allow some weeds to grow near by so that they can act as a reservoir to some of the pest insects which allows for a constant background population of the parasitoid wasps. This also means that there are always the possibility for some pest insect damage, but the damage to crops is minor so it is well worth it.

Maintaining a small population of parasitoids also means that spraying anything (organic poisons, synthetic insecticides, oils, home remedies etc) is out unless you want to be constantly buying and replacing the parasitoid wasps.

eestrada1234 likes this.
  8. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    Thank you so much for your feedback. I already introduced the wasps so I will find a way to keep them inside the greenhouse all the time.

9. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    How is the problem now eestrada? Getting on top of those aphids?

10. eestrada1234

eestrada1234 Member

México
    State:
    Estado de Mexico
    City:
    Metepec
    Well, Mr. Hallam -- It´s been only 3 days with the wasps in the greenhouse, and as far as I know they take from 2 to 3 weeks to erradicate all the aphids so I will let you know in a couple of weeks....