1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

IBC's water storage and algae....help

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussion - Other gardening systems.' started by Logga, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Logga

Logga New Member

Hi to All,

I'm looking forward to setting up an aquaponics system but firstly I need to get me water storage sorted.

Can anyone tell me if I'm likely to encounter algae problems using clear IBC's under my house? There is no direct sunlight but a small amount of filtered light predominately coming from one side (north).

Is it a no light at all situation? I could use black but would like to visually see water levels.

Cheers
    Andy

2. battzNZ

battzNZ New Member

Hi Andy,

Am I correct in saying that your Fish Tank IBC and Grow Bed IBC's are all under the house?
    Unfortunately unless that entire system is blacked out, to some level you will experience algae.
    In a situation like yours I wouldn't expect it to be a large amount as those systems that are normally in a fully exposed area of sunlight.

If it is just your Fish Tank that is under the house and the Grow Beds in a fully exposed area, then yes you will get algae growth mainly in the Grow Beds. A good rule of thumb with grow beds is to not let the water level reach above your media level, only let it flood to a couple inches under.

Just as a suggestion, if you want to black out the tank exterior with paint, you could leave a line from top to bottom to see where the levels are.

I hope this all helps

Good luck ;)

3. battzNZ

battzNZ New Member

Ok so maybe I read your post wrong.:whistle:
    As water storage IBC under your house with filtered light you'll still get a bit algae.

4. Logga

Logga New Member

Thanks battz, I thought that would be the case. I'm liking the idea of leaving a strip for the levels.
    Cheers