1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Ibc tote and plastic drums

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by Jacob santa maria, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Jacob santa maria

Jacob santa maria New Member

United States
    State:
    Texas
    City:
    San Juan
    How y'all doing, this is Jacob from Texas. Im new to aquaponics and could use help. I have a 275g ibc tote that i would like to use as my fish tank and 3-55g barrels that i will cut in half to make 6 grow beds. My questions are,
    1. Aside the clay pellets, what's a good, inexpensive media for the GB?
    2. Do the GB need a siphon or can i just use an overflow type system?
    3. How important is a sump tank?

If anyone can give me any feedback, that would be great. Thanks.

2. baseman1703

baseman1703 Member

Australia
    State:
    Western Australia
    City:
    Karratha
    Hi Jacob welcome I'm new myself. Only been doing this for about 1 1/2 months I love it his group because everyone is so helpful.
    I believe you can use rocks but have to be careful which ones. I'm sure others will point you in the right direction. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. matweb

matweb New Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Edi Upper
    Jacob, 100% agree with Baseman1703, use rocks or gravel rather then Clay. Clay is very costly.
    Go with an Auto Siphon, it does more then just drain the water , it help to get air to the root zone and generally adds air to your system.
    In regard to a sump tank depending on your design I would say a sump take is a good idea, even it is part of your back up system.