1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Hydroponic design with Aquaponic Theory

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by Rin, Jul 17, 2020.

?

Will this grow?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rin

Rin New Member

Canada
    State:
    Ontario
    City:
    Toronto
    Hi guys, im new to forum. Been really into growing my own herbs lately and wanted a organic way to grow for my family's health. Thought Aquaponic would be an amazing idea. Sketched and made a few design so far started off trying to do hydroponic then decided maybe I can modify this for Aquaponic. Came upon a few issues I can think of right off the bat.

Problem #1: The water flow rate for pumps has to be exactly the same going from fish tank to container and container to fish tank.

Problem #2: Will the nutrient by enough for 8 Pods of Herbs (Cilantro, Oregano, Peppermint, Lavender, Basil, Basil, Sage, Parsley)

Problem #3: Fish tank is 9Gal (currently on sale with 3 stage filter and all)

Is this design viable or how can I modify it to become viable?

EDIT: A friend brought up two valid points

1. You would need to have them at the same height. If the power goes out, that hose at the higher level will still have a siphon and will empty that water all over the floor.
    2. If one pump dies, it'll overflow one of the containers and empty the other.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020