1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove lime from MB Gravel(blue metal)

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by Jomy Issac Varghese, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Jomy Issac Varghese

Jomy Issac Varghese New Member

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Dear All,

i am in the process of setting up a small indoor AP system inside my house and just got all the equipment set.

For the media bed - i got some 20 mm blue metal gravel. As it is recommended to test for Lime, which i am going to test soon.

I need to know in case i find traces of lime, what can i do to get rid of the lime and use the same gravel ?

Kindly advice.

Regards,

Jomy

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Jomy, Welcome to the forum.

If it's a small volume of gravel, with only a small amount of lime inclusion, then you could put it into a plastic drum etc, and fill it up to the top of the gravel with vinegar, or Acetic acid, or Hydrochloric (Muriatic) acid. Then leave it until it stops bubbling.

If it's a large volume of gravel, or there is a high level of lime inclusion in the gravel, then your best option IMO would be to replace it with a gravel that doesn't contain lime.

3. Jomy Issac Varghese

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Dear Yabbies,

Thank you for your advice.

I did the vinegar test and noticed the bubbling is very less and from few stone, then later i observed there were some white type of stone which get powdered easily.

I decided to sort them out 1 by one as i just have only 1 media bed and yes the volume of gravel is very less. After a through wash of the sorted gravel i did random vinegar test and found no bubbling.

Good now i am just running the complete system and setting the flow and air etc.

will start to cycle without fish in a day or two.

Once again thank you.

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    ...:thumbsup2:

5. Jomy Issac Varghese

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Hey All,

Just wanted to share and update on this post.... that even though i did a proper wash of my blue gravel and vinegar test showed no bubbling, and decided to go ahead But after a week or two i observed my Ph was not going down and could feel it was kinda rising.

I stopped at a point and replaced the whole blue gravel with hydroton which was so easier to work with and handle.

And now its been almost a month since i restarted my whole cycling process and now i have completed the cycling process and did add my fish and having a nitrate of around 30 ppm.

now focusing and learning on growing seedlings and plants and to maintain the system.

Just an update

regards,