1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

How to Cycle with Fish

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by Jomy Issac Varghese, Aug 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jomy Issac Varghese

Jomy Issac Varghese New Member

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    I am just setting up my system and started to cycle the system. And to note i am doing it Indoor inside my house.

The many problem for me for cycling was finding a source for clear ammonia commercially, but ended up buying a 25 liter (the minimum qty) Can ammonia from a chemical manufacturer.

I started using it, but the problem is handling this ammonia as its vapor is too strong and its presence can be felt in the room, which opening it using etcc.

So for safety concerns i would like to avoid using this method of cycling with fish and would like learn and try out cyclying with fish.

anybody having experience in cycling with fish, kindly advice me and your suggestions and the steps or process i have to do and take note of to ensure it is done successfully.

Thank you in advance.

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Jomy,

You don't need Ammonia in that form to cycle a system, a more natural form is safer to handle.

If cycling with fish you don't need any Ammonia at all, the fish provide the Ammonia for the bacteria, and you definitely shouldn't be adding extra Ammonia while there are fish in the system.

Cycling with fish isn't widely recommended, unless the pH and temperature of your water are both low. The higher the water temperature and/or pH, the less Ammonia it takes to start harming your fish.

Cycling without fish is the easiest and safest way to cycle. This way there is no possibility of harming any fish.

The easiest way to cycle without fish is to use a product such as Seasol Powerfeed, or Maxicrop. Add capful per 500L, per day, measuring the Ammonia 24hrs later. Repeat this daily process until the Ammonia reaches a level somewhere between 1.0ppm to 2ppm. At this point stop adding the product and measure both Ammonia and Nitrite daily. Once the Ammonia has dropped away to 0.0ppm, and the corresponding Nitrite spike has also dropped to 0.0ppm, the system is cycled and ready for fish.

Cycling with these products also allows you to plant seedlings from day one, so they are well established when the system finishes cycling and the fish are added 3-4 weeks later. This means the plants will be able to keep up with the increasing nutrient levels provided by the fish.

3. Jomy Issac Varghese

Jomy Issac Varghese New Member

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Dear Yabbie,

Thank you so much for understanding my concerns and giving a range of valuable suggestions.

I think i will proceed to to cycle without fish and will use Cold pressed Seaweed and will use product of General Organic's G.O. Seaweed, which is what i got locally. The sad part is it doesnt have a nutrient fact sheet on the bottle. I am emailed the manufacturing and hoping to get a favorable response.

But in many of my readings, i had noticed of using cold pressed seaweed with Fish emulsion recommended for cycling and nutrients etc.

The product i have doesnt have fish emulsion but will it still help in my cycling ?? kindly advice?

meanwhile i have just attached a pic of my system installed indoor and a pic of the sea weed extract. hope the seaweed extract have is equivalent to Seasol powerfeed or maxicrop.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      155.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      177.4 KB
      Views: