1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Hoping for suggestions for something to take care of algae

Discussion in 'Fish' started by lestercressey, Dec 19, 2020.

1. lestercressey

lestercressey New Member

United States
    State:
    New York
    City:
    New York
    I have a fairly new tank (six months), and have lost two golden algae eaters. It is a 46g bowfront with all community fish. It is a live plant tank, and additionally has a fair amount of algae on the glass (I have a fluval 3.0 light and am still tuning it to try to keep from too MUCH algae), so I don't think the two of them starved to death. About the only think I can think of is that the pH runs a bit high (around 7.6) and the water in this area is slightly hard.

1) If anyone has any guesses whether I did something wrong to kill them off (e.g. if I'm supposed to be supplementing their diet somehow), then I'm happy to go for #3.
    2) Otherwise, I'm looking for ANY suggestions on good alternatives. I have to do SOMETHING to get the algae under control.

Thanks!