1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. buttonboxguy

buttonboxguy New Member

I have a small system (30 gal) with about 50 - 1-2" goldfish running for about 45 days now. I cycled the GB and Ft and everything went fine. I am growing indoors under a 400w HID lite and plants seem to be fine although growth has slowed down quite a bit.
    PH-6.8
    Ammonia .25
    Nitrates .25
    Nitrates 80-160
    H20 temp 71
    Humidity 70%
    Do I have too many fish for such a small system or what I think is that I do not have enough plants growing. Should I do a water change or what??
    Mick in Oregon with snow on the ground.

2. benwalters

benwalters Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bowraville
    Hi mick
    What is the capacity of your grow bed,
    You have a lot of fish
    Some nutrients seem to be getting converted
    But it seems you need more growbeds and plants to deal with them
    You could feed fish less and do small water changes
    The plants should be growing well, perhaps they are too close to light
    Or need more ventilation,
    Pictures might help find the answer,
    Good luck,
    Ben

3. MoeCanada

MoeCanada Member

For HID lights the plants shouldn't be closer than 12" inches at the seedling stage as their growth would be stunted but as they become bigger and stronger you could go as close as 8" without any ill effect but you need good ventilation.