1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Hi from USA - with a question

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by massmanute, Aug 13, 2020.

1. massmanute

massmanute New Member

USA
    State:
    Utah
    City:
    Riverton
    Hi,

I am curious about something, but first a little background. I am not doing aquaponics, but I am intrigued with the idea.

I live in an area with hot summers and cold winters. Relative humidity is low here, low enough that a lot of people use swamp coolers to cool the house in the summer.

My question revolves around the feasibility of raising trout, in particular water temperature during the summer. Here's a hypothetical setup: fish tank in a shed, planter bed just outside of the shed so the plants get sunlight . In the summer (which gets over 100 degrees F for several days in a typical year) would the air bubbler in the tank provide sufficient evaporative cooling of the water in the tank to keep the temperature low enough for trout, or would one need to provide additional cooling to the tank? Also, I am assuming that I would need to provide for air exchange with outside air so the humidity wouldn't build up too high in the shed. Otherwise it would end up shutting down evaporation and defeat the cooling effect of evaporation. Also, keep in mind that the tank would not be in the sun.

I don't need a definitive answer. Even some informed speculation could be useful.

I have another question or two, but to keep the discussion better organized I am just raising one question here.

Thanks.