1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Help with new system

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by FlyingMetal, Aug 11, 2017.

1. FlyingMetal

FlyingMetal New Member

India
    State:
    Gujarat
    City:
    Surat
    Hi there, I have set new aquaponic system with ft 1000 lt 1 sump 650 lt amd 3 grow beds 250 lt each. I have planted from the seedlings and they were fine for couple of days but new I have seen some strange discoloring on the leaves and they fall as well. I don't have fish ATM just using seaweed extract. I have attached the pics. Is there anyone to help me with the leaves falling and what am I doing wrong?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. baseman1703

baseman1703 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Western Australia
    City:
    Karratha
    Hi Flying Metal.
    I'm new my self only a few months but love this Ste and Aquaponics.
    If I may ask what are your other readings eg Amonia nitrites and nitrates. Plants like the lower end of the Ph scale around 6.5 to 7 but fish like it higher so it's a balancing game to keep them all happy. Could be a few things but above my experience level at the moment. I'm sure Yabbies4me will be able to help out. He's been great for me and pending where you are easy to chat with a simple call. I have got all my testing gear from him here in West Oz even though I live remote. Nothing but good info and help.

3. FlyingMetal

FlyingMetal New Member

India
    State:
    Gujarat
    City:
    Surat
    thanks for responding mate,
    I didnt take any other readings as i dont have fish atm.
    Do i need the ammonia nitrites and nitrates readings ?
    cheers

4. MickyD

MickyD New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    SE QLD
    You should cycle the system before adding the fish so you can ensure the bacteria have built up so that the harmful ammonia and nitrites don't build to a dangerous level after you have added the fish. Add a small amount of Ammonia and it will all start but you will need the test kit to test your levels everyday so you know when it has cycled. Then you can add the fish. Powerfeed is recommended as it has a small amount of Ammonia in it which will start your system.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    What address would you like that carton sent to Baseman?

6. FlyingMetal

FlyingMetal New Member

India
    State:
    Gujarat
    City:
    Surat
    I have access to live nitrification bacteria culture so I don't need to cycle the system just add fish and the live culture. I have fresh water test kit too. I just need to know what is causing the problem, falling leaves, as well as leaves becoming transparent and yellowing
    If you have any info regarding the same please let me know.

7. FlyingMetal

FlyingMetal New Member

India
    State:
    Gujarat
    City:
    Surat
    Yabbies4me, would you know why this is happening ?
    Please let me know if you come up with any info
    Cheers

8. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    The system will still need cycling before adding the fish. Adding live bacteria can reduce the time taken to cycle a system, but definitely doesn't remove the need to cycle a system.
    There could be many reasons why the seedlings aren't fairing well FM, but let's trouble shoot it.

- What are the current daily maximum air temps and humidity where the plants are?
    - What temp is the water getting to every day?
    - In the peak of the afternoon heat, can you comfortably hold the back of your hand against the surface of the gravel?
    - What operating method are you running, ie: Siphoned Flood & Drain, Timed F&D, or Constant Flood?
    - How deep is the gravel and to what depth are you flooding it?
    - Is the water going into the GB very well aerated?
    - The seedlings were obviously established before you added them, did you rinse off any of the potting mix?
    - How much Seaweed extract have you added into the system?
    - What is the source of your water?

9. FlyingMetal

FlyingMetal New Member

India
    State:
    Gujarat
    City:
    Surat
    -Air temperature is 31 degree Celsius
    -Humidity fluctuates around 65% to 80%
    -Water temperature sits at 28 in peak of the afternoon
    -Yes I can hold the gravels comfortably, they are not hot at all
    - I am using siphon flood and drain
    -gravels are 26 centimeters depth
    - water level is about 23 centimeters
    - water going to grow bed is aerated
    - I used coco peat for the seedlings and I did wash off any excess coco peat from the roots gently
    -I add about 20 ml 2 times a week
    - municipal water which I aerated for a week to gas off the chorine

Please let me know if you need any more details
    Cheers

10. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I believe there are a number of issues here, ie: nutrient deficiencies, possible fungal issues, heat stress, insect attack, but it is extremely difficult to diagnose them and their causes with a high degree of accuracy because there are a quite a few things that I feel may be contributing factors:

- Your system is very young and it hasn't had time to develop a nutrient bank.
    - The seedlings have recently been stressed, ie: transplanted and had the soil washed from their roots.
    - Granite/Basalt gravel isn't an ideal growing media for seedlings in warm climates.
    - You may be flooding too high in the GB.
    - High temps, humidity and rainfall in your region at this time of year.
    - Plants that are not really suited for a young aquaponic system and/or the current climate in your region.

There are a couple of issues I'm fairly confident in diagnosing. In the last pic, what looks to be an Egg plant, I believe the issue there may be insect attack, most likely Thrips. In the pic of the bean plant, I believe that may also be insect attack, possibly a Bean leaf beetle or some kind of weevil.

The rest I'll try and get back to later... I'm flat-out at the moment.

11. FlyingMetal

FlyingMetal New Member

India
    State:
    Gujarat
    City:
    Surat
    Should I increase the seaweed dose
    And you mentioned about the height of flooding, should I go ahead and decrease the flood height by half an inch.
    Thanks

12. baseman1703

baseman1703 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Western Australia
    City:
    Karratha
    You have it already and I'm Thirty

Yabbies4me likes this.