1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Heating in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by hensl, Jun 25, 2013.

1. hensl

hensl New Member

Hi. I have 40 Jade Perch and They have been in since January. They are HATING the cold weather in Brisbane and have stopped eating. All my plants are showing signs of nutrient deficiency. I have put 100m of 19mm black irrigation pipe on the garden shed next to the fish tank in order to heat the water. It is currently sitting at 14.5 degrees Celsius at 1:15 so not good. I don't know how effective the black pipe will be but I need to get the water to around 16-18 degrees. Murray, I know you are not to far from me and you said you are running heating. What size heat pump are you using for your 1000l tank? Has anyone else in Australia found that they can get their 1000l tank heated via pipe like I have installed? What measures are you going to as in insulating your tank, to keep the heat in?

Thanks

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Hensl,
    Most heat loss is off the top surface of the water. So, I have mine covered with sheet foam....but lots of air going in. I am only heating two tanks and am using a bank of 3 x 300 watt aquarium heaters in each tank....bit expensive to run but got sick of lighting that silly rocket stove last winter. I have each bank of three running off a single thermostat set to switch the 3 x 300 watt bank on at 16 c and off at 18 c.

Working well except for last night which was a real chiller and even with the heaters the temp dropped to 15 .6 in one tank and held at 16 in the other. The unheated tanks were at 10.2 this morning.....very cold. I have Silvers and Murrays in the other tanks and am not bothered about heating for them.

3. George D

George D New Member

Hi Hensel,
    I am on Northside of Brisbane and have a small AP system with 15 Jades. I have mine set up on Northside of house that gets sun all day, My temp has only ever dropped below 15 once and normally sits around 15 -18 this time of year, I have polystyrene sheets around my tank which seems to work well with keeping heat in and also keeping the ap system cool during hot summers. My fish have slowed down lots lately and I am only feeding them every second day or so (I throw a bit in if they dont all rush to the top and eat I greatly limit what I put it). My plants have slowed down (lettuce and tomatoes) but my strawberrys are going very well, I also spray a bit of seasol on the leaves in a very week mix to give them a bit of a boost and that seems to have helped..I am new to all this so its a bit of trial and error at the moment for me, but my water levels are stable and all running well..I was thinking about some heating but thought this is my first winter with them so would see how things go..fish have only been in since Late Feb this year,

4. Judy McCabe

Judy McCabe New Member

Hi Hensel, I am on the northside of Brisbane but I get lots of shade during the winter months on my system. Unheated my water temperature drops to 8 degrees. However, I am managing with only one 300watt heater to keep the water temperature between 14 and 17 degrees so far this winter. I think the secret is keeping every possible water surface covered. Lock it right up. Stuff any exposed corners or other nooks and crannies with rolled up plastic bags to keep the heat in and the cold out. I also wrapped every wall of my tanks, sump and growbeds in the silver foil insulation. Lastly, I insulated the exposed pipes so even they were not losing heat. You can buy pipe insulation from Bunnings. I have 2 x 1000 litre tanks, approx. 5 square metres of growbeds. 3,000 litres approx. of water. That's a lot of water for one heater. I think I am doing pretty well. Your Jades should handle 14 degrees OK. Mine did last year - they still grew a little over the winter. Lastly, don't stress over it. Your fish won't be - they will just put up with it until the water warms. AND don't feed them if they are not looking for food. Food in their belly which their system can't process due to the cold will kill them......

5. Longnt

Longnt Member

Hi Hensel,

You can cover your black pipe with clear plastic to reduce heat lost from wind. It should be better if you can position your pipe an angle of 90 degree to the sun (very low on the horizon now) to absorb more sun light.

I have 150 m of 13mm pipe in 3 sqm black boxes that are lightly insulated and cover the front with poly-carbonate roofing sheet. These boxes was put on my lawn and position toward the sun. I run the pump through them from 8AM to 4PM.

My system is about 3000 l which include about 5.5 sqm GB and 3 sqm DWC. I have 2x300w heaters that I will turn on one or both if temp drop too low. The lowest temp until now is 16 C on 25/06. Currently temp is 21 C, thanks to clear sky and warming day.

Cheers,
    Long.

6. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    I bet heating is the furthest from your mind at the moment Murray... heard on the telly today that you banana benders have been having a bit of a heat wave and Beaudesert was 43.5C yesterday... how are your fish and systems coping?

7. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Yes Yabbies,
    Been darn hot I can tell you. Yes lost some Silvers from the heat. The water temps are high, 33.4 in one tank today. Tried dumping 4 bags of ice in there, made no difference at all, not even a tenth of a degree. Broke out a couple of 40 lpm aerators to put extra aeration into some of the tanks that were only relying on small domestic style aerators. Can't have enough air in this weather.

I have noticed that before, Silvers are much more sensitive to low DO than Jades or Murray Cod and them eel tailed catfish are as tough as old boots.

8. TonyS

TonyS Active Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    Bunya
    I have the pool solar heater that I used in winter to heat the water, I have now turned it on each night since Friday to try and dissipate some of the heat into the air.

It depends on how cool the night gets but I have been able to drop my system temps down 3 degree or so each night. Other than Saturday (Over 44 here) when the system got up to 31 the system is hovering around 28.

9. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Murray - have you ever tried to build an evaporative cooler for your system? Should work pretty well if your humidity is low.

10. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Your tanks would be cooling down today wouldn't they Murray?... and topping up.