1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Growing RICE in AP

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Rob, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ascension

ascension New Member

Hi Rob

I set the rice in a little pot off to the side of my AP setup but not connected. Just filled the pot up with AP water whenever it was empty, so flood and drain on a 24hr cycle :D.

Next time I think I'll start the rice in coco coir or similar then transplant into AP beds. When I threw the seeds into the clay balls quite a number where either too dry or too wet and became mouldy.

2. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Hey guys just reading this with a little interest. Do any of you guys know any rice growers? Rice seed would be quite easy to get if you do especially in the quantities that you are talking about. As long as the rice has its hull it should be ok to shoot.

Ok I am not a rice grower but have had a bit of experience with it. For a start Aussie growers do 2 different methods for sowing rice. Aerial and "normal" with the aerial being the most used these days. This method is simply to broadcast seed directly over the rice bays. They are filled with just enough water to cover all of the soil. Here's the trick though, they soak it for about 24 hrs to germinate the seed before being dropped onto the field.

Did you also know that rice doesn't actually need deep water to grow? The water is more of a blanket and protects the plant from cold overnight temperatures. As long as you keep air temperatures over approximate 20c all the time it should not need the water. Rice is very nitrogen hungry, almost as bad as corn. To get a good crop, it needs HEAPS of it. Not sure what you phosphate levels are in AP but it needs a wack of it too.

Now not sure how this stuff would be milled at home but I don't think I would like non milled rice to eat. Anyway getting the crop would be most of the battle. Hope this helps

3. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

Dropped in on one of our local rice mills yesterday for a truck-load of husks (for our chicken coops) and thought I'd take a closer look at the milling process.

1) Sacks of threshed, sun-dried, husk-on rice comes in one end and is poured into milling machine #1. I don't know what happens inside, but what comes out is a) a stream of air-blown rice husks to the tailings heap and b) mostly de-husked rice back into a sack. The latter is re-fed into the same machine to complete the de-husking.

2) This brown rice is then fed into machine #2 for polishing. What comes out is a) pristine white rice and b) rice bran - a beige, fluffy, slightly oily powder.

The former, which apart from close to 100% carbohydrates, has virtually no nutritional value whatsoever. The latter rice bran, which contains all the protein, vitamins, lipids, etc, is used as animal feed.

Hmmm.

4. madbill

madbill New Member

Starting another thread about growing rice.

I supplied rice seeds to Murray many years ago. I tried to import them but was not able to, due to restrictions. You were not allowed to import rice seeds into Australia at that point in time. I think the restrictions still apply.

The department I was dealing with eventually introduced me to a major rice grower in Australia, who supplied me with 2 kg of seeds with massive conditions applied.

I signed a contract with them and received the seeds, of which I gave a portion to Murray.

I made 8 attempts at growing the rice but failed because the seeds turned moldy.

There could have been something wrong with the seeds.

I visited Thailand a number of times of late to study rice growing as they are one of the major suppliers of rice in SE Asia.

A form of Hydropincs was used in Thailand since the 80s to grow rice successfully. I was not able to find someone in Thailand that actually grows rice using Aquaponics as we know it today, but surprisingly a hybrid form of Hydroponics and Aquaponics is being used. They are a little secretive so I am trying to build a relationship with them.

I was able to source 100kg of rice seeds in Thailand consisting of 4 varieties. I am planning to commence a research venture to grow rice using Aquaponics in the next few months in Thailand.

Will keep you informed.

James Doerflinger and Wee like this.
  5. madbill

madbill New Member

Update:

Had my partner purchased 25 kg rice seeds in Thailand and started first growing exercise using traditional methods.

Based on advice from REAL rice farmers in Hatyai, soaked 0.5 kg of rice seeds for 72 hours. Placed 8 cm of good soil mixed with nutrients in container (80cm x 40cm x 15cm). Pressed the soil down hard, and then added the soaked rice seeds. then covered the seeds with 2.5 cm soil.

Watering three times a day, but on hot days doing it 4 times.

After 3 days little green rice shoots started appearing.

First 3 days Growth.jpg

I was able source source Tilapia fingerlings for an amazing price of 5 for 1 bayt. I was shocked. That is 125 fingerlings per Australian dollar.

Setting up a traditional aquarium to start growing them (125). Very active and hardy fish. Only had 3 die in over a week.

The food for the Tilapia for one week cost more then the fish.

Rice is being grown in Thailand using Hydroponics. They would not allow me to take photos.

I am trying to design an aquaponics system based on what I have seen.

I am flying to Thailand on 31st March, to build the Aquaponics system and to start transplanting rice plants to the aquaponics system.

Will keep you informed.

6. madbill

madbill New Member

UPDATE:

Rice growing beautifully using traditional method.

upload_2017-3-15_13-26-13.jpeg

Spread out plants into smaller groups and even placed some in separate pots.

upload_2017-3-15_13-26-30.jpeg

upload_2017-3-15_13-26-58.jpeg

Started designing the Aquaponics rice R&D set-up using IBC containers, and now trying to source connection components.

Getting new 1000 litre water containers are impossible, and finding clean food quality 2nd hand containers very difficult. Considered importing new IBC containers from China, but minimum quantities are 20.

upload_2017-3-15_13-27-49.jpeg

Tried to order connections and plumbing from Practical Aquaponics in Queensland, but no response to emails. Tried calling but the person taking the call was not able to help.

Back in Sydney now, and will try and get connections from Bunnings and take it back with me to Thailand at end of March.

Will be using water that is pure from Reverse Osmosis and then to add some nutrients for the fish. I will be testing the water at a lab for any sign of fluoride and arsenic. My research suggest that all rice grown throughout the world (including California and Australia) have high levels of arsenic. I tested some of the water from the local hydroponic rice farm.... Arsenic was present... The water comes from bore holes and the local river.

Will keep you informed of progress...