1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Growing RICE in AP

Discussion in 'Plants' started by Rob, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

As the title suggests... i'm wondering if we can grow a local variety of RICE in a flooded AP system, perhaps with only shallow media, but more water, and slow flow rates.

Does anyone have any experience with rice at all?

Since it's such a water intensive crop, it seems a good fit for AP?

From the little research i have done, there is rice to grow in temperate climates.

I wouldn't know where to get seeds or anything though. I'm sure the stuff in the shops (even the good stuff) isn't suitable for planting.

Rob

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I obtained some certified rice seed (with great difficulty). It is a "must-do" project....one day. I really want to find out "if"and "how" it can be done. Avisitor here one day told me that it is possible to produce 1kg of rice per sqm of growing space.
    Is that possible?

3. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    ...:eek:.... uh-oh!

While I have no experience with rice, I would say yes!... based on past discussions on the forum!... but you couldn't possibly understand the size of the can of worms you have potentially just re-opened Rob!...

Somewhere on the forum there is a thread where this was already discussed... in depth!... I hope you have a bit of spare time and like reading!

4. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Murray,

Do you have some excess to sell?

I think because it's a "primary producer" sort of crop, it's VERY hard to locate seeds.
    I have read that you can use unprocessed brown rice, but that is probably just as hard to find.

I'd be more than happy to do a play by play of the results.

Rob

5. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Can open... waiting for the mayhem that ensues :D

Rob

6. AshWard

AshWard New Member

Ebay it 100grams $15 delivered. Certified rice seeds.

7. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

Deja View

You asked almost the same question a couple of months back:

And got a very nice answer from this guy:

8. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Are you referring to these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brown-Ri...8?pt=AU_Food&hash=item3f19aa8d54#ht_500wt_962 ??

I always thought seeds for sprouting were different varieties to regular seeds for large crops??

Although i have thought about using a F&D pan for sprouting - since it automates the manual process we normally will have to go through.

Rob

9. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

Rob, AP should get better results than flooded-paddy-grown rice, if the water is oxygen-saturated.

1) Research has shown that rice does very nicely on fish waste.

2) Store-bought (food) rice is dead, as the live germ is polished off with the bran. It's like slicing off a 10kg chunk of someone's beer gut and expecting it to produce offspring.

3) Throw a handful of your rice seeds into a bowl of water and discard those that float.

4) Preferably plant individual seeds in their permanent site. Transplanting, a universal practice for various reasons, shocks them into losing about 3-5 days of growth. ie 3-5 days longer til harvest.

5) Don't plant too closely together; you want to eliminate root competition and encourage tillering. 20cm should be an absolute minimum.

4) & 5) are SRI practices.

10. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Thanks Gratilla.

I'll check the local organic store. I can often get "cold processed" things, raw milk, and other un-messed-with type product. So i'll try and get something along those lines.

Thanks for the information.

So one seed should be treated as a regular seed, as if it's going to grow lettuce or anything else?
    I have absolutely no experience with rice, so have no idea what to expect (but that's half the fun!!).

If the water is highly oxygenated (ie - right next to a spray bar), do you think DWC would work?

Can you recommend any particular varieties that are better than others that i might be able to find?

Rob

11. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I did indeed and I should have linked back to that thread. Thanks for bring that really good info back to the surface again.

Part of the previous discussion can be seen HERE

It is a most useful discussion to have again I feel, bring it to the surface because growing grains is just so important into the future if any sort of sustainability is to be achieved.

12. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

I did search for Rice, but couldn't find it.

Where did you manage to get your seed from Murray?

I'll try Gratilla's information about floaters etc... but starting with known good seed would help eliminate that variable from the equation since it is, after all, a test.

Thanks,
    Rob

13. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

I now recall reading that thread... but it's too hard to follow.

All i want to do is put some seed in the AP and see what happens... i don't really care about the science behind it (which is odd for me, seeing as i'm usually all things science). I suppose it's akin to mixing chemicals and waiting for the explosions rather than simply reading about it...

Rob

14. ascension

ascension New Member

Just to throw my 10c in... I grew some rice earlier this year with a twice weekly supply of AP water into a small pot of clay balls and some store brought Australian organic brown rice. Had a germination rate of about 20% and after about 5 months I had some small heads of rice, about the same amount that I planted.

In all honestly it worked much better than I expected and I'll definitely be doing it again in a bigger scale once I have the room.

From the reading I did at the start of the year the store brought organic brown rice is the way to go and certainly cheaper than what's for sale on EBay. Just make sure its Australian grown and processed so that the rice hasn't been subjected to any process during quarantine.

15. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

Correct. Bear in mind though that the magic of rice is its ability to tiller (ie its ability to send out side shoots, each able to bear an ear of grain). With lettuce it's just one seed, one head of leaves. With rice, you can get one or a hundred ears and it's much more efficient to have a 100 tillers rather than 100 plants. How many tillers you get will depend on nutrients, oxygen, water, light, carbon dioxide, lack of competition from nearby plants, etc.

I think so. Bear in mind again that until recently most rice was grown in flooded paddy, which would not be oxygen saturated for much of the time.

Not really; I'm not up-to-date on the latest varieties and availabilities. Australia, though, is a major rice-growing country. Take a look here: http://www.rga.org.au/ . Send them a msg and if you claim that you're doing a school project demonstrating rice growing and AP to your cute little Aussie kids, you never know they might send you a sample of the latest seeds.

16. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

Interesting mate.. thanks for the information.
    Did you grow in flood and drain or constant flood etc?

And yes... i won't buy anything imported regardless... you don't know where the stuff's been (or you do, which is equally an issue).

Thanks for the information on Rice Tillering (if that's a word). I didn't know that.
    So if we did DWC... it would be better to, say... have a tray of vermiculite that we sew the seeds into, rather than individual net pots, since it wouldn't be able to Tiller. I think that's doable.

Does the Rice plant itself need to be submerged somewhat? Or as long as it has water it will grow?

Thanks for the information Gratilla - proving to be very useful.
    And thanks again ascension for your experience with off the shelf options too.

Thanks,
    Rob

17. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

Large pots with ONE seed each, IMO. If you can find Rupert's photo of DWC pak choi, you'll see that each plant managed to send out a large mass of roots. Personally, I believe that ... <Hmmmm, let's not go down that root [sic]...>

Hmmm, now you're really tempting fate, aren't you???

OK, my personal belief is that, all things being equal, the performance of your plants will depend on how successfully you can aerate the roots. So oxygen-saturated DWC will out-perform normal flooded paddy, but non-inundated soil flooded (and drained) say once a day will out-perform AP. This is in line with the results of SRI to date. <Except that I know of no significant quantitative results of AP-grown rice, DWC or otherwise.>

18. Rob

Rob Super Moderator

OK - so looks like since there's no solid AP precident, it really needs some experimentation!!!

:D

I'm really keen to try it, but will try and locate some reliable seed first - more to eliminate seed quality from the equation (as much as you can), then try a few different methods.

Rob

19. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Gratilla, is the seed scattered on the surface of the damp soil or does it need to be "planted" ?

20. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

Traditionally, seed is scattered over the surface of a nursery plot for germination and ongrowing for approx 12-25 days before transplanting. SRI favours the shorter period and careful transfer to minimise transplant shock. If there is no significant problem with faster germinating weed seeds and wild rice, seeds can be planted directly in paddy - again on the surface. No harm in covering the seeds though if you want to hide them from the birds.