1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Growbeds design/sizing

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by Anish, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Anish

Anish New Member

qatar
    State:
    Doha
    City:
    Doha
    Hey All,

We have 12,000liter tank which we are planing to add some tilapia. The design is based on my ADC course using the CHOP system. I am just not sure how to size the growbed. As a rough estimate i've put 4 growbeds (2 IBC tanks cut into half) with 20mm rocks as media. The water volume in each is about 300 liters

My current design has the following
    1. My swirl filter is a 3000 liter round tank
    2. 2 x 1000 liter tank as a sump
    3. 1 x 500 liter tank as distribution tank
    4. 250 liter mineralization tank
    5. 350 liter bio-filter with 20 liter K1 media
    6. 120 Hielia aerator aerating the fish tank, bio-filter and the mineralization tank.
    The main produce are the fish hence the Grow beds are here just to control the Nitrate levels in the water. That was the only way i understand to control Nitrate levels other than water changes which is not easy to get.