1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Growbed stops filling...

Discussion in 'Forum Issues' started by Lock_Chan, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Lock_Chan

Lock_Chan New Member

United states
    State:
    California
    City:
    El monte
    Hello! I just started into this aquaponics thing and started off with a small growbed. Got the bell siphon going and everything works!
    Except that it drains down to the last inch of water and just stop filling the bed. So the water never drains comepletely. (Not sure if theres suppose to be leftover water all the time?)
    I can hear the siphon continuously suck up the water at the last inch so whatever water pumps into the bed is already sucked, so the bed doesn't fill... I'm so confused what I did wrong, please help!

2. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Welcome to the forum!

Having leftover water in the bottom of the bed is fine, in fact most media growbeds are designed to have a layer at the bottom permanently flooded. No worries there! It sounds like your water flow into the bed is too fast for your siphon to 'break' (stop siphoning). If your pump can be turned down, try that; if it's not adjustable, get a T piece and split the flow so that some goes to the growbed and some goes back to your tank.

What's your setup? If you post a diagram or some pictures we can probably give more detailed advice! :thumbsup2:

3. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Hey Lock_Chan, I got a notification that you'd replied to this thread but the forum was down when I checked, and now there's no new post from you - I think it got lost. o_O

4. Lock_Chan

Lock_Chan New Member

United states
    State:
    California
    City:
    El monte
    Oh! How weird. o_O well thanks for your advice! I'm definitely gonna get a t piece since I can't control the water flow.
    My setup is an ibc tank with my turtle and goldfish living in it. (Preparing for the green stuff to hit...>_<)
    the grow bed is an underbed storage with river pebbles and a bell siphon I made just like Robbob's from YouTube. I plan to have a a bigger bed once I'm confident enough.
    Unfortunately the site won't let me post links for my photo. D:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  5. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Oh cool, RobBob's channel is an awesome resource. :D I've used a bunch of stuff I learned from him in my system-in-progress!

If putting the T in doesn't bring the flow down enough, you can add a tap on the branch going to the growbed to get more control. For pictures, you can upload one directly - it has to be reasonably small, so you'll have to resize it - or you can link from Photobucket.

6. Lock_Chan

Lock_Chan New Member

United states
    State:
    California
    City:
    El monte
    A tap on the branch? Does that go over the top piece or the tube?

7. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant an inline tap, like the ones that get used in irrigation systems. A lot of them have barb fittings, so you can just push them into the end of your pipe to get better control of the water flow. Like this one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-19mm-poly-inline-barbed-tap_p3129110

(It's always best to use plastic fittings instead of metal in an aquaponic system, it's safer for both you and the fish!)

8. Lock_Chan

Lock_Chan New Member

United states
    State:
    California
    City:
    El monte
    Ahh I see! Thanks! I just got a t piece today, it helped quite a bit. I'll post pictures soon.

9. Lock_Chan

Lock_Chan New Member

United states
    State:
    California
    City:
    El monte
  10. Mark Mai

Mark Mai New Member

United States
    State:
    california
    City:
    San Gabriel
    Hello Lock, did you ever get your problem fixed?

11. Lock_Chan

Lock_Chan New Member

United states
    State:
    California
    City:
    El monte
    Hello! Yes, everything worked out just last week. ^_^ Thank you!

12. Mark Mai

Mark Mai New Member

United States
    State:
    california
    City:
    San Gabriel