1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Grow bed media

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Tracy Holz, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

I finally get my media tomorrow. I have been going back & forth on what to use I wanted clay pebbles - nut the price. So I have been saving & looking. I found a great deal online but you have to buy 45 bags. So I did that, this will be enough for my 2 next expansions. The price deal was very good. Normally I can get a 45L bag around here in North Texas for $34.00 If I ordered 45 or more I can get them for $20.95 plus delivery. Only took 4 days to deliver also..
    So when they are delivered tomorrow - guess what I will be doing? :D

I ordered them from: theaquaponicsource.com

2. mwestvang

mwestvang Member

United States
    State:
    texas
    City:
    WEATHERFORD
    Tracy,

I just looked up Anna and heck we are not that far apart. I'm in Weatherford on the other side of the the metroplex.

Mike

3. Tracy Holz

Tracy Holz Member

mwestvang

We need to hook up & tell lies about how our systems are going..... " I grew a bell pepper THIS BIG.."

4. magnusthescott

magnusthescott Member

usa
    State:
    ok
    City:
    wewoka
    always my standby use the home depot website 33/bag and free shipping if you order 2 or more there is also their site to store option for the 30 bag bundle which drops price to i think 29/bag a little more but i have had great luck with the quality of the viastone brand vs 3 others tried through the local retailer here that seems to get a pallet at a time of whatever is cheaper and price sits between 33-40/bag depending on the brand, some of these smaller brands i have found wood chips and more broken pebbles than anything else in the bags, not to mention the 30pack from lows is a $45 home delivery fee or free to the store

5. John Allison

John Allison New Member

United States
    State:
    Galveston
    City:
    Galveston
    I am using an IBC for my beds. How many bags of Hydroton will it take for a 12 inch media bed?

6. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi John, Welcome to the forum.

If you want to achieve the recommended 300mm (12") gravel depth in an IBC type GB, it requires 7 x 50L bags.