1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse Temperature

Discussion in 'Greenhouse - Shade house.' started by Bupathy MV, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Bupathy MV

Bupathy MV New Member

India
    State:
    Pondicherry
    City:
    Pondicherry
    Hi All

Our place the Temp ranges from 45' cel. in summer to 23' cel. in winter, RH around 60 to 65% average, We have planned for natural ventilating green house , is it recommend to cool the green house with cooling pads and fan in summer for growing leafy Greens, or is it enough to maintain water root temperature, need advise on this

Thanks

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm assuming when you say "cooling pads", you are referring to evaporative cooling pads mounted where the fresh air is drawn into the shadehouse. This can work well if set-up correctly and the atmospheric humidity level isn't already too high. I have a seen a few examples where it has been applied. From memory I think one of the large commercial installations that Murray has visited utilises them.

Most plants are fairly resilient to high air temps as long as the root zone doesn't get too warm, so keeping the water temp, and therefore the root zone temp, down, is a good idea. It would need to be kept cool for the fish anyway.

I would just ensure you are growing plant types/varieties that can handle the warm weather. Also, in hot weather ensure you harvest very early in the morning before it gets too warm, this will increase the shelf life of any produce.

Cheers!

Hayden.

3. Bupathy MV

Bupathy MV New Member

India
    State:
    Pondicherry
    City:
    Pondicherry
    Hi

Thanks for the reply, as i told before the temp ranges from (45'C max to 25'C min) in summer and winter, So do you think leafy vegetables can grow well in summer if i maintain root zone temperature. if so i can install a natural ventilating greenhouse and put fans for air circulation. which will be more commercially viable than cooling pads setup

Yes the cooling pads is evaporative type pads,