1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Gravel media

Discussion in 'AQUAPONICS MADE EASY interactive discussion forum.' started by LukeB, Jun 1, 2019.

1. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Morayfield
    Hey guys.

I'm in Brisbane and I am looking for a cheap place to get gravel grow media.

So far I've found a few places but it says recycled concrete for the 20mm gravel. I thought I heard that concrete isn't good in the beds so what sort of gravel should I use?

Thanks
    Luke

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Myself, I would use expanded clay over blue metal or other gravels, for a number of reasons.

A grow bed filled with blue metal gravel to 300mm and flooded to 250mm, weighs as much as 3.5x that of a similar GB filled with expanded clay. An IBC type GB with those parameters can weigh as much as 700kg.

Expanded clay has far more surface area for bacteria colonisation, reportedly 3x that of a piece of blue metal of the same size. It's also much easier to dig into, plant seedlings etc, and keeps system water slightly cooler than blue metal in hot weather.

If you do buy expanded clay, make sure it's a good quality German product, cheap Chinese and Thai clays float and also break down. Murray is a few k's south of Brown's Plains and will most likely have expanded clay in stock.

If you do want to use blue metal gravel you should use 3/4" and you should be able to get it from landscape suppliers.

3. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Morayfield
    Hey Yabbies. I was only looking at it as I feel it would be cheaper to purchase then the bags of clay balls I brought for my basic IBC setup I attempted.

Do you or anyone know how much Murray sells the bags for and how many I would need for a 300mm deep IBC growbed? I am thinking of getting a couple more IBCs and doing the CHOP2 Murray shows in his DVDs. I just can not remember how many bags I needed.

Thanks
    Luke

4. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Just give Murray a call, or check his online store. There's a tab you can click on at the top of the page.

For an IBC type GB with a gravel depth of 300mm you will need 7 bags.

5. LukeB

LukeB New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Morayfield
    Thanks Yabbies. Really appreciate the help.

6. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    :thumbsup2: