1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Going to ramp it up with the new system

Discussion in 'Aquaponics Ideas' started by dbldx2c, Sep 18, 2015.

1. dbldx2c

dbldx2c New Member

USA
    State:
    CA
    City:
    Nipomo
    Hi All!

I am going to revamp my current AP system and want to build a new system to be as maintenance free and efficient as possible for a balanced output of plant and fish production. I'm looking for advice on how to construct the "perfect" system without over complication. The idea is to build it once and build it right to last for the long haul.

I live on the west coast of California and my current system is outside. During the winter the water temp drops to 50F or less at night so the new system will be placed in a greenhouse. The grow towers shown in the new design is only a future thought.

The 600 gallon fish tank will be an inverted water storage tank that has a cone shaped bottom.
    The IBC soil growbed will not be tied into the AP system of course. I'd rather not move the location of the current growbeds as they are heavy as heck! The media used is and will be expanded clay.

I'd love to hear your critiques for all aspects of the new system idea although 20' x 16' is as large as I can go for the greenhouse. BTW, it will be about 14' to the top.

Also, the new system is drawn proportional.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    The system design looks great. Very nice I would think. By soil beds I assume you mean "Wicking Beds" ?