1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Getting fish ready

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by Matt oliver, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Matt oliver

Matt oliver New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Bendigo
    hi all I’m new here and have just. Built a chop II IBC setup that is now 3 weeks old and I’m getting ready for fish but my ph level is at 8.2 and I’m unsure if fish would handle that! I have 20mm gravel approx 350mm deep and siphons have been cut to spec from Murray’s plans, everything seems to be growing well I added 350mil of seasol to start off and have been adding a cap full every day, I also have added chelated iron as some plants where extremely light green. Here are some pics and some help with lowering ph would be awesome.

Oh also I currently have approximately 20 yabbies in the sump!

Cheers
    Matt

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Matt, welcome to the forum!

The fish and nitrifying bacteria both prefer a slightly alkaline water and won't have any issues at all with a pH of 8.2

What are your current readings for:

(a). Ammonia
    (b). Nitrite
    (c). Nitrate
    (d). Water temp

P.S. Your pics never uploaded.

3. Matt oliver

Matt oliver New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Bendigo
    thanks yabbies-4me so far no nitrites, nitrates. or ammonia. are showing on the test kit i have water temp is currently 32 deg, which seems high i havent acttually check this before.

cheers i was going crazy trying to upload a pic

4. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    How long have you been testing for Ammonia?

5. Matt oliver

Matt oliver New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Bendigo
    i started testing about a week ago and have only checked it 3 times now as i thought maybe it was because of no fish

6. Matt oliver

Matt oliver New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Bendigo
    sorry i have just re-checked it
    Ammonia - 0.25ppm
    nitrite -0.25ppm
    nitrate - 20ppm

7. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep!... With the system only being three weeks old, I would've expected there to be Ammonia in there from both the yabbies and the Seasol.

How long have the yabbies been in?

8. Matt oliver

Matt oliver New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Bendigo
    from the very start i had them in tubs for fishing bait so just transfered them over

9. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    With a pH of 8.2 and a water temp of 32C, it would only take a SNIFF of ammonia for it to be harmful to the yabbies... Less than what you already have in your readings in fact, see chart below.

I would immediately stop adding Seasol and stop feeding the yabbies, until the system finishes cycling and the Amm and Nitrite have dropped to 0.0ppm.

As you'll see from the chart, the higher the water temp and/or pH, the less Ammonia it takes to be harmful to your fish. You can't really drop the temperature easily, so I would work on reducing the pH a little, but it needs to be done with care. You could do this with small, partial water changes, using aged, acid treated water.

If you only have access to tap water, I would suggest a separate tank/drum for preparing top-up water. Ideally the tank/drum would be opened topped so the water is exposed to sunlight. Fill the drum with tap water and aerate it for at least 24hrs, to remove any chlorine. While the water is in this drum, add Hydrochloric acid and bring the pH down to around 6.0, test the pH a couple of times every day and keep adding enough HCl acid to bring the pH back down around 6.0, it will require less acid each time. After a few additions you will find the pH will stay down in the low 6's, this means most of the carbonates have been consumed out of the water and it's ready for use.

Empty around 10% of the water out of the main system, using the opportunity to siphon any poop, uneaten feed etc, off the floor of the FT or ST. Then top up the system with the acid treated water. Add it in slowly, preferably in two or three stages over an hour or so, or a slow trickle over an hour or so if using a pump or gravity feed.

I would repeat this partial water change process every couple of days until you can get the water in the system to stay down around the mid 7's, say 7.5-7.6... There is no need to go any lower, it will happen on it's own over time. That pH range will make your water far more safe in regards to Amm, as well as being better for the plants.

Attached Files:

10. Matt oliver

Matt oliver New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Bendigo
    wow ok thanks a lot i will start working on this straight away never realised such a small amount could be like that.
    i added air pump to y fish tank today to try keep everything going and be ready for the fish, glad i asked and thanks heaps for the help.

11. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    No worries!... I just added another paragraph at the end of my last response, I'd have a quick read of that when possible.

Cheers!

12. Matt oliver

Matt oliver New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Bendigo
    cool, will hydrochloric acid from bunnings or the likes be ok to use or is there a spesific 1 to get

13. Yabbies4me

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Yep!... That's what I use.