1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Germenating seed

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussion - Other gardening systems.' started by peter lica, Jan 30, 2016.

1. peter lica

peter lica Member

australia
    State:
    wa
    City:
    geraldton
    Hey guys i have no idea how to germinate seeds and then how to plant them in the grow beds any help would be great thanks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I raise mine in vermiculite that is in a net pot. Good quality seeds are important. It is 3:00 am but if you like I will take a photo after sun-up and post it here.

peter lica likes this.
  3. peter lica

peter lica Member

australia
    State:
    wa
    City:
    geraldton
    Thanks murray

4. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Seeds planted directly into a mix of 50/50 vermiculite and compost. See this is a oak leaf green lettuce day 3 from seeding. 45 to a tray.

seed-netpot-2.jpg seed-netpot-1.jpg

ECDDan likes this.
  5. peter lica

peter lica Member

australia
    State:
    wa
    City:
    geraldton
    Thanks murray is vermiculite ok to put in the grow bed once the seed has germinated

6. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    We just take the seedling out of the net pot and put it into the gravel or leave it in the net pot for planting into a raft bed.

ECDDan likes this.
  7. Richard D

Richard D New Member

FRANCE
    State:
    IDF
    City:
    Viroflay
    Hello Murray,

is putting the netpot with compost directly in the raft bed not an issue? I thought putting anything near soil in an aquaponic system will add solids in water (not good for the fish) and maybe will eventually clog the system?

thanks