1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

fish tank question

Discussion in 'TotePonics - IBC - CHOP Systems' started by Brad Smart, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Brad Smart

Brad Smart New Member

hey guys

finished building my new fish tank.

1000L ibc painted black

insulated with anticon insulation

300mm x 300mm perspex viewing window

mini orb corrugated iron on lid with insulation underneath

my question is: would this environment be too dark for the fish?

or do they like a little bit of light?

2. Redneck

Redneck Member

I think fish like to know if it is day or
    night,They dont like to much light but
    still need some.

3. benwalters

benwalters Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bowraville
    hi brad, sounds good
    any chance of a photo?
    im not sure if you could keep the lid open a little during the day, i feel that having a sealed unit may affect Dissolved Oxygen levels in fishtank??????
    also keep a eye on the corro cause you dont want too much corroding metal leaching into tank, as i say this i have rusting mesh above a fish tank and im worried about this issue, but fish seem fine,
    metal water tanks have a protective plastic coating apparently that makes them fish safe
    just my 2cents worth,
    cheers ben

4. Sam Burton

Sam Burton Member

Sounds good. For what it's worth, my Tilapia like a little light to eat by, but hey, who doesn't?