1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Fish Stop Feeding

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Shep69, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Shep69

Shep69 Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    I finally got around to covering my my FT after a couple of years to try and stop the algae . The cover is about 600 mm above the FT so it still gets some light in just not direct sunlight. The silver perch now won't eat . They are swimming at the top of the water , something that they have never done before.
    Water temp is around 24 Deg. I wouldn't have thought by covering the tank it would stress the fish. Any ideas.
    Cheers Mark

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Mark,
    I don't think it's the cover scaring the fish its when the lids open that they will be stressed.
    The fact there swimming at the surface means they are feeling more confident than before.
    I open my covers as soon as I get home from work in the late afternoon and don't feed until after dark , if I just lift the lids and throw feed in nothing happens. I lift the lids and wait an hour , then start by only adding 3 or 4 pellets only . Once a brave fish hits a pellet the others are encouraged to feed I repeat the process until the fish are swarming in a school , then add the appropriate amount and let the frenzy begin. Covers tend to make fish much more flighty at first but they will soon habituate and things will return to normal.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. Shep69

Shep69 Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Thanks for the reply Ringer. I have never had an issue feeding until now . Before I put the cover on the fish would go crazy when I threw the pellets in , even in daylight.

4. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Check your water chemistry & be sure you are getting enough oxygen. Do you have sparge stones in the tanks? If your only O2 aeration is from water spashing on the top of the tank, a cover can cause you low O2 levels. Fish could be gasping for air (Just a thought.)

5. Shep69

Shep69 Member

Australia
    State:
    WA
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Robert .
    Plenty of oxygen. I have 2 large air stones as well as a pipe over the FT with venturies .

6. Jomy Issac Varghese

Jomy Issac Varghese New Member

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Hello Guys, as i was going through this tread just curious on the cover/lid for the FT.

My doubt is, is it fine to have the closed all the time ? Is it necessary for the fishes to have some light?