1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

First Post and looking for some advise.

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Shane75, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Shane75

Shane75 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Langwarrin
    Hi everybody, this is my first post and looking for some advise.
    I am a newbie I guess in the scheme of things. I started my first build a couple of years ago and have built a CHOP mark 2 system as per Murrys' plans. 1000L IBC for the fish tank and 2 cut down IBCs to form the 3 grow beds and sump. The grow media is 20mm river pebbles approx 300-350mm deep.

12 months ago I added 50 silver perch to the system, I did unfortunately lose a number of them to begin with, (27 loses in total). I put that down to having a very high Nitrate level, over the period of a couple of days I did many water changes and got the level right down. Since then I have only had 1 fish loss and that was over winter when the temp dropped quite cold. I live south east of Melbourne.

Plant growth has been ok, but not as good as I was expecting. Last summer I had a number of different things growing but a lot of them seemed to be quite small. Kind of looked like bonsai veggies, lol. I put this down to not having a nutrient "bank" built up yet. Over the winter I put in some broccoli, leeks and cauliflowers. Leeks went Very well, I still have a few left now. Broccoli also did quite well but very slow growers, then the possums found the romanesco broccoli and demolished them. As for the cauliflower I don't know what went wrong, I think it might be a while before I give them another go.

Anyway I am getting ready for summer and was thinking that the slow plant growth rate might be due to fish numbers. I might not have enough to feed all three grow beds and was thinking about adding some more silver perch and quite possibly adding another 1000L fish tank. I have been reading quite a bit lately in regards to swirl and radial filters and it has got me a bit perplexed. In my thought process I am thinking that they will be effectively robbing the grow beds of potential plant nutrients. I have also been reading up on anaerobic zones, which I am not sure I completely understand, there seems to be some very different info and opinions out there.

So I guess the brunt of it is I am just looking for some advise on fish numbers, and I know that is a VERY open ended question, and should I install a solids filter,

Any advise, thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated, I can upload photos if that will help in any way,

Cheers Shane

2. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    Good morning from Canberra - can't really help with the fish numbers except to note that I have been told that around 25 to 30 silver perch are required for my 750 litre tank.

However, i placed a water heater into my tank the last stage of winter and run it at 17% and my veges are absolutely booming even though my silver perch are still 5cms only. The lady who also runs a similar tank set up has not had the same growth and her temperature has just reached 13%.

My take obviously is that for teh cooler climates warmer water is a must and the fish are just a bonus - but this is from my very small sample.