1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Juan Mexico

Juan Mexico New Member

Hello everyone

This is one Juan from Xalapa in Mexico; first at all, I want to thank for the forum and second, please omit the bad english writing... I`ve read almost all posts many times and it`s been very helpful.

I`ve started my aquaponics system with an Intex pool (around 800 mexican pesos or 65 USD) that permit 1,500 liters, more than less. It was on auction.

Here is a picture:

http://www.google.com.mx/imgres?q=alberca+intex&um=1&hl=es-419&biw=1280&bih=595&tbm=isch&tbnid=H34-bzA3n8GP5M:&imgrefurl=http://mx.class.posot.com/alberca-intex-guadalajara/&docid=maSo2SawgXWXuM&imgurl=http://img.mx.class.posot.com/es_mx/2012/04/30/Alberca-Metalica-Rectangular-Intex-20120430143030.jpg&w=375&h=375&ei=MLWjUJKEH43siwLPmYD4DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=446&vpy=257&dur=1254&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=133&ty=161&sig=115294739618703107918&page=2&tbnh=144&tbnw=144&start=18&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:20,i:158).

I got some tilapia, very small, I started with 50 and now I just have 30. Some tilapia suffered damages during the transfer and some others got sick; others have parasites that I attribute to the breeder. Since 10 days ago everything seems ok, I don`t have more dead fish and they seem happy. The system is now 2 months old. I have three grown beds with gravel and some plants are already growing (garlic, beans, spinach, mint, and just have borned apium, chard and letucce); the grow beds must be for 100 liters each one. Besides, I got a PVC with nutrient film technique from the growbeds with 20 holes; the pvc is 5 meters long and it`s over the pool. I haven´t had the chance to check nitrogens or PH; I bought the test kit in amazon and must be here in a week.

The average temperature here is 19 celsius. Commomly we have a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 32 during the year, but the winter has just started and we have a minimum of 10-14 and a maximum of 20 these days. The fish look ok, just a little slowly in the morning. I don`t have a greenhose.

Xalapa is a place too warm for trout and too cold for tilapia (but I think the tilapia would be fine after the winter); I don`t have any Cyprinus carpio breeder close that would be the perfect fish for Xalapa . I have a trout breeder to 35 minutes in the way to the mountains, and in the other hand, I have the tilapia breeder to 35 minutes in the way to the beach. Each tilapia fingerling costs 0.10 USD.

I`m planning start with cultivating Stevia during the spring (for personal consumption) and some other like corn, tomato and chilli. I hope sharing some photos in the next days.

The tilapia are fed with food made in home according to this: http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/AquacultureTIES/publications/Spanish%20WHAP/GT2%20Alimentando.pdf. Their food is prepared with greens, oats, fish remains, amaranth, gelatin no flavored, water and some dog croquettes, everything mixed. I bought some tilapia pellets and they preffer the food made in home; during the weekend I`m adding peanuts and beans to the preparation. I`m very carefully with the protein ratios mentioned in the document.

After introduction, my questions.............

The first one: Do you think that this ammount of fish is enough?, I don`t want to strees the system with too many fish in there and on the other hand I`m worried that the plants grow very slow. I have another intex for 1,000 liters with 7 grown tilapia (around 150gr each one) with the same question. The plants in the grow beds are ok and the water is crystalline (I don`t want this because I want that the tilapia eat phytoplankton). I can add more pvc but no more gravel grow beds (there`s no space).

The second one: Could I fertilize the fish tank with compost?; the compost is made from everything from the home kitchen but it doesn`t have any animal manure. I know that my compost doesn`t reach high temperature and I`m wooried because I don´t want that the tilapia get sicked with some parasites and pathogenic bacteria that could remains in the compost. In theory, the compost would be very helpful for feeding tilapia according to the documents I`ve read.

Thanks again for the help and I expect that in a few months I can contribute instead of just asking to the forum.

Regards!

2. benwalters

benwalters Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Bowraville
    hi Juan, good to hear about your project

do you have a way to measure water temperature?

it may be that you will have to fertilizer plants because tilapia will stop feeding in winter
    but increasing fish numbers will not help, if they all stop feeding,

i think its good to keep system with low stocking rate ,i.e. dont get more fish for now....

worm tea is a good way to get extra nutrients for your plants , (rather than using compost in fish tank)

looking forward to seeing your photos

all the best
    ben

3. Juan Mexico

Juan Mexico New Member

Hi Ben

Thanks for the suggestions; i just bought an ebook related to aquaponics in spanish, and the one who wrote it, comments that it might be that nine fishes be enough to sustain the system, lets´s check......I´d really like growing fishes to eat them but let´s start to just keep them alive and healthy.

I will use some worm tea instead the compost, thanks for the tip; I just got the Nutrafin kit, and all parameter are ok (nitrates, nitrites, amonia and PH is 7.5). By ok, I mean no nitrates and amonia readings.

Tilapia are still feeding, normally, two times per day; but as you say, it´s not the same amount of food that when it´s hot.

I preffer to keep an extra space for the tilapia to prevent more dead fishes, so no more fishes until I get experience.

I´m gonna to take a video and share the link. I think that even is winter, the system is very good considering that there´s no greenhouse.

Yesterday, I just add a new piece to the system; is for seedling, a little ebb and flow of 40 liters. I decided this, after I observed that the seed that were directly put in the grow beds have grown better that the ones on cotton. So, i put cups with gravel and let the little ebb and flow working all day.

I still have one doubt regarding to the solids on the bottom of the pool; I think that some tilapia that have dead were looking for food on the ground and get some disease (fungus) from there.

I´ll share the video this week

Thanks again

4. Juan Mexico

Juan Mexico New Member

Hello again

Here is finally the video of my system:

[YOUTUBE]?v=AltgBIc3cYI[/YOUTUBE]

The plants are growing very slowly................ I can`t even put the plants on the pvc because the roots are not still out of the cup.

Thanks again and regards
    Juan

5. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Fixed the you tube link for you Juan. Good vid.

6. Juan Mexico

Juan Mexico New Member

Thanks Murray, regards