1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Facing problem with raising seedlings

Discussion in 'General Aquaponics discussion - Aquaponics system ' started by Jomy Issac Varghese, Sep 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jomy Issac Varghese

Jomy Issac Varghese New Member

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Hello all,

I am new to Aquaponis and recently installed a home system and just got it cycling completed. my system is indoor, inside my house.

now i am in the process of raising the seedlings since the day i started cycling but not been successful yet. some of the problems i am facing is
    1) planted some Romanian lettuce and the 1st round i did it in a tray with little water filled up to 1/4 of the seed pot filled with coco peat & perlite and covered it with plastic for having the moisture but non of the seeds germinated and amused it didnt happen as it was full time in that water and maybe the soil was too wet.
    2nd round i did it with spraying water everyone day but still not successful.

2) also i have planted some basil,mint leaf, tomatoe,chille etcc and they happen to have germinated but after 1 week the grown up seedlings just falls down as it can stand on its own, see attached pics.

do not all the above was done inside my house and the seedling is placed next to the window which get sunlight during the day and also i am using grow lights and white lights as well. Have attached a pic of the system for reference.

Kindly advice me if am doing all this seedling raising wrong and any important factor not considered by me. And if is it low of light kindly advice the amount or duration of light required for the seedlings to germinate.

Thank u .

regards,

Attached Files:

2. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    Have you added any nutrients to the system? If not, id suggest some seasol now.

3. Jomy Issac Varghese

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Hello Bryce,

yes i have added nutrients, used sea weed extract that was available locally which is GO Seaweed brand(attached a pic of it). I tried for getting Seasol but not available.

my Fish tank is having a capacity of 500 liter of water and i use 1 cap full every week. Is that sufficient or i need to increase it ?

also for more details, cycling is all fine now, PH 7.8, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between 30 to 40 and water temperature is between 27-28 degree Celsius.

I so far havnt check the EC, is it something i have to be concerned off now as my system is only 45 days old. Have attached a pic of my home system.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    How much sunlight does the window provide? that grow light is way to far away.

5. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Jomy,

From what you've described, I'd suggest the seeds not germinating was caused by excess moisture.

As far as the stretch in those seedlings, that is definitely insufficient light intensity and/or the wrong spectrum, but most likely the former. I don't know which brand you bought, but most cheap LED's aren't worth a pinch of goat poop. If you want to do well with LED's you need to do some research and purchase a reputable, high end set, but you can expect to pay at least $1,000+ per square metre of garden area. Some of the top of the range commercial grade horticultural LED's are $2,000+ per sqm.

6. Jomy Issac Varghese

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Dear Bruce,

The sunlight from the window is just few hours in the morning till noon, but yes doesn't hit directly on the plants and yes you are right the grow light was also far away as i just came up about it in my recent readings on grow light.

I think lighting is a serious issue i have to tackle and is researching on it.

As on now i reseeded fresh net pot and having the grow light right above the pots with a distance of 6 to 8 inch.

kindly advice your though on lighting i should go for my system based on ur experience.

once again thank you Bruce for your feedbacks.

regards,

Attached Files:

7. Jomy Issac Varghese

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Dear Yabbies,

Yes i think you are right about excess moisture due to which germination didnt happen. I followed as what was told in Murray's video on growing seedling in week-4 . It was shown that the seedling tray is placed on a tray half filled with water. But i wasn't sure if it was to be removed from the tray filled with water or needed to keep only for some time or hours a day etc.

now i have freshly reseeded and had the net pot socked in system water and after planting new seeds i have placed it under the grow light and is just spraying water during the day and the net pot is not immersed in any water now. Is this the right method of growing the seedlings.

Kindly advice me on the best practice to do so indoor.

And about the LED grow lights, i agree with you as i didnt even pay more than 100 USD, i just got it off amazon, it is by ACKE (https://www.amazon.com/ACKE-Hydroponic-Aluminum-Greenhouse-Vegetative/dp/B076B1W99T)

Kindly suggest me the best way to manage lights for plants for indoor. What other options other than LED ? as i dont wanna go with expensive options in my testing and learning phase

But also do provide me a list of recommended LED brands for grow lights as i would like to research on them.
    Thank you once again Yabbies for your feedback.

Regards,

8. Bryce duke

Bryce duke New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Roma
    Hi Jomy,

I myself have not used grow lights before, however in looking at that link to the lights you have i note the following.

There is no specification of the light output. The idea of grow lights is to mimick the sunlight required for the plants. this means you need to find lights that provide a colour temperature of 5000-5800K.

Also from my research a while ago on LED lights indicate that you need to provide both Red and Blue light. LED's are unique in that you can colour shift them to provide any specific colour you need, unlike traditional lights that provide the full spectrum all the time, so with LED lights, you need to find the balance in colour. White light is a combination of Red, Blue and Green Light. When you start using just a blue light, you are only providing Blue spectrum, and not the full spectrum.

Red wavelength is needed for Leaves and Biomass. Blue is needed for Antioxidants and Stomatal openings.

Hope that helps.

9. Jomy Issac Varghese

Kuwait
    State:
    Kuwait
    City:
    Ahmadi
    Dear Bryce,

You are right i completely overlooked to check the colour temperature and luckily i didnt throw the boxes and the one i am using happen to have only 2700K.

Guess i will replace mine with a better brand or go for T5 tubes as i seriously do have a light deficiency as my system is indoor.

thanks for the details and support, will update and its outcome after i get this change done on my system.

Regards,