1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

experiences with trout

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by Pvdkrogt, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Pvdkrogt

Pvdkrogt New Member

Hi I am setting un a system in Chile and would like to use trout,
    do people have experience with this?

regards

2. JasonW

JasonW Member

USA
    State:
    South Dakota
    City:
    Pringle
    I don't have experience with trout in AP. We actually were going to get some this year but I talked with the state head for fisheries and he stated that they were extremely hard to keep alive in a closed loop system. They are not hardy fish and even the state labs have a hard time with them in their systems. I hope that helps a bit...other than that all I can tell you is they need very high DO and low water temps.

3. silloth52

silloth52 Member

australia
    State:
    vic
    City:
    melbourne
    20120918_153335.jpg IMG_20131201_193143.jpg DSCN1803.JPG
    there is no problems raising trout in aquaponics or (closed loop system)
    some basic guidlines
    watch your stocking levels best water temps under 19c
    lots of air
    a filter, radial or swirl may be necessary
    in southern aussie our ideal range for growing out trout is march
    to november in northern aussie a bit harder with higher yearly mean temps makes
    it to hard grow out
    a couple of pics of my trout harvest started from 50mm -75mm fingerlings in 8-9 months
    trout are the quickest fish i have used to get to plate size, and your vegies go ballistic

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Jarrad likes this.
  4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    That fisheries guy needs re-educating, or sacking!

Trout are a wonderful fish for growing in aquaponics, many thousands of people do it very successfully every year. As Silloth has suggested, the seasons are the limiting factor. Here in Oz our Rainbow Trout are okay at water temps below 22C, but prefer it under 20C.

Where I am in Perth the water normally gets down to suitable Trout temps by mid Autumn, around mid April to early May. They are then harvested in late Spring when the water temp increases and causes them to go off their feed, usually late October, early November. People in the SE, Melbourne, Canberra etc, get a slightly extended season compared to Perth.

The three keys to keeping Trout would be;

1. Water temps below 20C
    2. Clean water
    3. Lots of aeration

Last season in only six months, in a very basic IBC system, ie GB over FT and no extra filtration (other than the GB) I got Rainbow Trout from fingerlings to 600+ grams gutted and gilled, with an average of around 500gm. They are very easy.
    Perth Aquaponics - 2013 Trout Harvest a.jpg

Jarrad and JasonW like this.
  5. JasonW

JasonW Member

USA
    State:
    South Dakota
    City:
    Pringle
    Thanks for the info! I am still very interested in growing trout and will put some more serious thought into them again.

6. Noob

Noob New Member

Thanks for the info Yabbies. I too would like to use Rainbow or Brown Trout here in Victoria (-20 Water no problem). I was of the understanding that Trout need moving water and therefore are really not suited to Dams, Tanks etc. Quality aeration would fix this issue as you mention.

7. gavinguy

gavinguy New Member

We are probably going to have to look to trout once November comes because our FT is 40,000L and in direct contact with the ground. So there's not chance of keeping it too warm. I've read that Rainbow can be a bit sensitive to PH etc but I think that might just be rumours. They are from the mountains of BC and the PH can vary from stream to stream.

8. Elena_R

Elena_R New Member

I am looking at using trout in my future system too. I found the following doc n the web - it's quite detailed and is all about aquaculture. I haven't fully read through it yet, but looks like a good starting point.
    http://aqua.ucdavis.edu/DatabaseRoot/pdf/TROUTMAN.PDF

9. Eloy Marquez

Eloy Marquez New Member

Mexico
    State:
    Chihuahua
    City:
    Chihuahua
    Thank you for the information! My wife and I are working to establish an aquaponics system by mixing an already existing trout tank (200 m3) with a nearby greenhouse (400 m2). The property is located close to the mountains of Chihuahua, the elevation is high (2000 m) and it is cold most of the year (average 10 C). Trout like cold water and the property has plenty of it. The greenhouse is used to grow tomatoes, I am concerned about the temperature because tomatoes likes to be warm and trout cold. Any suggestions to solve the water temperature problem?

10. yoodles

yoodles VIP Supporter

Australia
    State:
    SA
    City:
    Mount Barker
    i had my trout at 26 degrees the other day and they lived thru (they tend to not eat above 22 degrees tho). if you can use a solar heater to warm the water a bit trout are fine at around 16 - 20 (i found they fed better)

11. Jarrad

Jarrad Member

Australia
    State:
    Act
    City:
    Canberra
    What a timely thread!

I was going to search for similar topic as I'm sure there is plenty of info around.

My problem is also the weather. We're in Canberra and about to take delivery of a 'Black beauty system.

Due to the weather variations here, April thru Sept can see - 10 degrees.

Oct-Nov then tricks you with a few 30 degree days and gets cold again. We've had snow at the start of December although that is fairly rare.

Dec/Jan we usually get up to around 40 then Feb/March it starts to cool.

Wondering if we will need to heat the water a little in winter, cool it for summer (with summer obviously the clear issue)...

12. German E. Merino

German E. Merino New Member

Chile
    State:
    Coquimbo
    City:
    Coquimbo
    Hello everyone,
    I am running an aquaponics with trout and with a local river prawn. We started on november 2012 at Elqui Valley near Coquimbo city.
    Our wáter temperature in Winter is 8C and in summer is 22C with shadow...w/o shadow wáter goes up to 28C. We are producing about 6 MT/year of trout and 1600 / veggies per week.
    Cheers

Braden Chapman likes this.
  13. quincho1960

quincho1960 New Member

Colombia
    State:
    Risaralda
    City:
    Pereira
    Congrats German, where are you located?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. quincho1960

quincho1960 New Member

Colombia
    State:
    Risaralda
    City:
    Pereira
    Hi German, I just realized you´re from Chile. Greetins from Colombia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. German E. Merino

Chile
    State:
    Coquimbo
    City:
    Coquimbo
    Yep...I am at Chile...about 500 km north Santiago.
    Last month I have visiting my farm Dr Rakocy, Dr Kevin Fitzsimons, Dr Raul Piedrahita and some more people due to a V Aquaponic Conference which was held at Coquimbo organized by Carlos Leom from Bofish Mexico.

16. Nashah Yasharahla

Nashah Yasharahla New Member

Babylon
    State:
    California
    City:
    Dinuba
    You have a commercial system.?

17. German E. Merino

Chile
    State:
    Coquimbo
    City:
    Coquimbo
    Nashah
    I might say is close to comercial if we speak for aquaponic level. I have 8 cylindrical tanks (each 20 m3) and 16 hydroponic raceways (15 m3 each). We are able at the moment to sell 500 kg trout/month and 1600 veggies/week. We do lettuces, celery, bassil, water crest.
    Recently we include melon and tomatoes.
    Cheers
    Acuiponia.cl

Braden Chapman likes this.
  18. michael66

michael66 New Member

Australia
    State:
    Vic
    City:
    Avonsleigh
    @German: I would be very interested in some photos of your setup? It sounds impressive!
    I looking to build a much, much smaller system...but I'm looking at running rainbow trout at fingerling stage. I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

19. German E. Merino

Chile
    State:
    Coquimbo
    City:
    Coquimbo
    Michael,
    You can see some pictures at www.acuiponia.cl and some reading. Spanish though.
    I will try to upload pictures any time.
    Cheers
    GM

20. philby1

philby1 New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Colyton
    does anyone know if trout will eat soldier fly larvae ?