1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Dutch Treat Seaweed Fertilzer

Discussion in 'Fertiliser - mineral supplements. Aquaponics syste' started by barbs, Jan 17, 2012.

1. barbs

barbs New Member

Hi there, I am just about to start my system cycling without fish. I have a liquid seaweed my organice gardener husband uses in the garden called Dutch Treat Seaweed Fertilizer...has anyone heard of it or used it and are all of these the same product essentially? Is it different/better than dry seaweed, and how much can I use?
    Any thoughts are much appreciated!
    Barb

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I don't think anyone here has heard of it....sorry. Maxicrop is commonly used over your way.

3. barbs

barbs New Member

thanks Murray!:)

4. yanowski

yanowski New Member

I have been using "growmore" Seaweed extract (natural kelp). On the back of the bottle, it says "this product is known by the state of california to cause cancer..."

Why on earth would that be? Is it because of the potash? Anyone have an idea? Below is a link to the manufacturer's information page. (I have already written them a letter for an explanation)

http://www.growmore.com/products/type/seaweed-extract.html

5. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Maybe them there Californians have been drinkin the stuff......:24locos:

Potash would not appear to be harmful to humans.

Potassium fulfils many vital functions in a wide variety of processes in plants, animals and man. It is typically taken-in in greater quantities than required and surpluses are naturally excreted. This process occurs in animals & humans via the kidneys and urine and in plants by the return of potash in senescent tissue at the end of each season - leaves from trees, cereal stubble and roots, etc. K is therefore naturally recycled widely and in large quantities. Soil reserves are an essential requirement for adequate nutrient supply of K to plants which commonly contain more potassium than any other nutrient including nitrogen.

Exreact from
    http://www.pda.org.uk/what-is-potash.html

6. yanowski

yanowski New Member

After doing some more research (this applies to other chelated products as well) it seems that the "california cancer causing label" is a result of a water protection law from the 1980's. In the case of most seaweed fertilizers, the cultprit is the amount of trace minerals in that are found naturally in kelp per research conducted by the AAPFCO (Association of American Plant Food Control Officials); businesses operating out of california (according to california law), must put the warning label on their product, even if it sold outside of the california border.

I am trying to find an an OMRI listed seaweed fertilizer that is produced in california to confirm this. In the mean time, you can go here to read up on the findings of AAPFCO on just about every seaweed product on the market. I'm confused by the wording of "adulterated" in the legal jargon. Are minerals added to these seaweed products or not? Grow more incorporated insisted that their "cold processed" kelp has no added materials. It is kelp, pure and simple.

Murray, or anyone, can you link a "chemical-based" seaweed fertilizer as a reference. I'd like to dig into this further.

-Kyle

7. Murray

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Sorry Kyle, can't help you on that one. I hope someone else can.

Interesting stuff anyway. Makes one wonder the "authorities" being so worried about "trace minerals" in seaweed extract and at the same time allowing GMO's and the spraying of "Roundup" on crops bound for human consumption.

UndaToka likes this.
  8. yanowski

yanowski New Member

I know, strange stuff. Most of those "authorities" are from the moon anyway =). It don't think I'll ever make sense of it; I really just want to know if the stuff I am using is the same as Seasol, and will either product have potentially harmful effects on my family later on down the road.

9. SustainingRoots

SustainingRoots New Member

Canada
    State:
    British Columbia
    City:
    Abbotsford
    Hi Barb

I just started (near Vancouver, Canada), and used Dutch Treat to start my cycling, as I couldn't find Maxicrop locally. Dutch treat has the same nutrient profile as Seasol and is working very well so far.

10. UndaToka

UndaToka Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Jiggi
  11. João Jesus

João Jesus New Member

Portugal
    State:
    Porto
    City:
    Porto
    I'm new to the forum but I was looking for information on kelp addition. I've heard that can also add sodium to your system. Any thoughts?

12. SustainingRoots

SustainingRoots New Member

Canada
    State:
    British Columbia
    City:
    Abbotsford
    Joao, I have not heard that.

All I can tell you is, myself and a lot of other people have been following Murray's recommendation to start cycling a new AP system with seaweed extract, and it works very well.

It is very forgiving, and there don't seem to be any harmful side affects.

13. João Jesus

João Jesus New Member

Portugal
    State:
    Porto
    City:
    Porto
    Thank you. I suposse it depends on quality of it as well.