1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Dropping to single digits F tonight

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by Robert123, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Here's to real world testing of the heating in my Tilapia tanks out in the greenhouse. drinkanim

Dropping to 9 F tonight and won't get back up to above freezing till noon the day after tomorrow. That is cold - cold for South Carolina. System was designed for sustained low teens with dips to below 10. Guess we'll see. :unsure:

P.S. We have generator backup just in case the grid pushes up daisies. I hear parts of Texas are already having problems keeping up with power demand due to the temps.

2. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Temps at 7 am...
    Outside: 7 F (-14 C)
    Greenhouse: 32 F (0 C)
    Fish Tanks: 66 F (19 C)

Temps a bit lower in the tanks than predicted, but my safety thermostat is cycling the heating coil on and off as anytime it senses 104 F on the stainless tee it cuts the power to the coil. The water flowing through the tee doesn't get that hot, but the metal at the base of the coil where I mounted the thermostat does. I put it that low just in case the controller failed, but that was a bad decision. I just need to let the controller do it's job and let the safety thermostat do it's job (cut off if / when the pump flow stops). Need to up that thermostat up to about 120-150 F and I think the tanks will stay at the desired 70 F lower limit.

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    I just cannot imagine how cold that must be. Incredible.