1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Drain Pipe

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Yateesh, Jun 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Yateesh

Yateesh New Member

Mauritius
    State:
    Mauritius
    City:
    Quatre-Bornes
    IMG_8506.JPG

Hi

The picture above is my actual system with 3 grow beds(from left to right) and a sump tank below. The fish tank is on the end right of the picture.

I want to know if i can connect all the 3 siphon with a single drain pipe below the grow bed to the sump or should each of the grow bed have their independent drain pipe to the sump i.e. 3 drain pipes.

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Have a 90 deg elbow underneath the grow bed, at the bottom of your siphon standpipe. After the elbow have a short length of horizontal pipe, about 6"-12" long, depending on diameter of pipe. This horizontal pipe should be the same diameter as your siphon standpipe and elbow. Have the horizontal pipe feed into a much larger diameter return line that runs underneath the GB's and slightly downhill back to the sump tank. This return line should not be airtight.

3. Yateesh

Yateesh New Member

Mauritius
    State:
    Mauritius
    City:
    Quatre-Bornes
    Thanks.
    But can i connect all 3 siphons (stand pipe is 1 inch diameter) with a single horizontal pipe of 1 inch below the grow bed to the sump???
    OR
    alternatively should i connect the 3 siphons with independent horizontal pipes to the sump?? i.e. i will have 3 horizontal pipes to the sump for 3 siphons.

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    All the siphons can drain into the one larger diameter return line to the sump. Many people use 90mm stormwater pipe for the return line, as it is cheap.

In your situation only two of the GB's would need to drain into the return line to the ST. The siphon in the GB above the ST can simply dump directly into the ST. Still have the 6"-12" length of horizontal pipe after the elbow at the bottom of the standpipe, it helps make the siphon easier to tune and more reliable.

5. Yateesh

Yateesh New Member

Mauritius
    State:
    Mauritius
    City:
    Quatre-Bornes
    Thanks buddy