1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Andy Richard

Andy Richard New Member

Canada
    State:
    Ontario
    City:
    Brighton
    I'm fairly new to AP and I seem to keep getting the same results
    I plant cucumber seeds and they start out growing well but then turn yellow and die.

I also transfered basil plants into the system and they turned yellow but didnt die.

I have pictures I will add once I figure out how

Well water
    200g - with 30 3" Tilapia

8.5PH
    70 deg
    AMM 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 40ppm

2. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Hi Andy, welcome to the forum!

Your pH is high enough that you're getting nutrient lockout - even if everything the plants need is in the system water, they can't access it. Short term, you can help the plants along by diluting a little liquid fertiliser in system water and spraying it on their leaves (pick one that doesn't have much nitrogen in it); long term, you need to get your pH down. What media are you using, and what's the pH of your supply water after it's been sitting in a bucket or similar for at least 24 hours?

3. Andy Richard

Andy Richard New Member

Canada
    State:
    Ontario
    City:
    Brighton
    Hi Mel,
    Im using horticultural clay pebbles and I just tested my supply water after 24hr and it's 8.4 ph

Im getting my well water tested to see what is in it

Thanks,
    Andy

4. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Hi Andy,

At that pH you will most definitely have Iron lockout, and possibly a number of other elements becoming less available to the plants.

I would start by adding EDDHA chelated Iron to the system, half a level teaspoon into your 200g would be sufficient.

I would then work on getting the system water pH down into the mid 7's, in a safe manner, see the post in this link: http://www.aquaponics.net.au/forum/threads/ph-lowering-question.8070/#post-81462

bigdaddy likes this.
  5. Mel Redcap

Mel Redcap Active Member

Australia
    State:
    ACT
    City:
    Canberra
    Seconding what Yabbies said! (y) It's actually good that the cause is your supply water and not your media, it's easier to keep in balance. If you can collect safe rainwater (i.e. not off a galvanised roof) you can use that for topping up your system too.

6. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Jimboomba
    Hi Andy,
    Not to contradict Yabbies he really knows his stuff , I had a similar pattern occurring in a little experimental system I tried . Folic applied chelated iron really greened the plants up but ... I only ran the experiment for a couple of months , I don't think it's a solution to the problem long term.
    Cheers.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Hi Andy,

As well as the link above Yabbies provided, I'd suggest checking out Yabbies blue barrel thread, starting at post #210.

Let's know how you get on.

Cheers.

8. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    As Mel and Ringer pointed out, a foliar feed with either a general nutrient solution or Iron chelate solution is a good way to get Iron into plants that are suffering Iron chlorosis due to high water pH, but also as mentioned, it should only be seen as a short term fix.

EDDHA chelated Iron added directly to the high pH system water will fix Iron chlorosis within a matter of days, but will have a longer lasting effect and is a better medium term solution while you are waiting for the system pH to start declining naturally.

Also, as Bigdaddy pointed out, in post #210 in my blue barrel thread, you can see pictures that demonstrate the rapid greening of plants that were suffering Iron chlorosis, just by getting the system pH down into the mid 7's. In that situation the chlorosis was reversed and the plants greened up within a matter of days as the Iron already in the system became available to the plants again.