1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Dayboro Newbie [N of Brisbane, Au]

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Emji, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Emji

Emji New Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Armstrong Creek
    Greetings fellow lunatics,
    [perhaps you aren't, but I am - for taking this on too]

Background: avid gardener with a few hA, a view, but terrible soil. Have chooks, retired, love tinkering in my workshops & garden.

Been reading/planning on HP/AP for years in case I had to leave the farm due to age/being infirm - they have both caught up & I'm not leaving after all.

Started a kid's pool [1x1m] GB test bed a year or so ago to run off my ornamental goldfish pond [say 2x3m] - setup with expanded clay, syphon, but old pump died on first run!!!! grrrr. The end of that for now. Since 'collected' a few misc pumps 'waiting for the time' - people dump the most useful of stuff!

Local garden club has a 2 IBC system in limbo :-( then saw neighbour [well, 900m away] running a small system for 8 months with Jade Perch. Told my mate of the recent AP interest & he mentioned that he worked with the son of a AP guy - guess who - Murray! Inspired, again! :) So...

Project AP:
    - have 4 1000L IBCs [2 currently processing SVO]
    - a 6000L tank [needing a liner]
    - several 200L blue drums
    - just finished a 10x10m pond [for grow out & mixed fish &, of course, fire fighting] - yet to be netted. Have a 13ML supply dam but cold, shaded & 30m down in the gully & is a bugger to pump up against that head. Besides, the cormorants/darters love the dam! When I say cold, the JP wouldn't start eating until summer in that dam :) BTW: the garden is down there too where the soil is ok - helluva climb!
    - preparing a flat space for the system now - the view comes at a price - steep ridges that our goats love but jelly won't stick to.
    - have good sloping north face for heating in winter [how many times have I seen/thrown old solar HWS at the dump!]
    - chook & goat pens above AP area to supply nutrient to duckweed ponds & BSF larvae for JP

The dream:
    - feed 2 of us [& growing grandkids] on Jade Perch, a few Eel-tailed Catfish, some crays, lots of veges, & perhaps some exotic meats later [cavy, insects, snails from the surplus]
    - automated system monitoring [I'm into Arduino & Raspberry Pi too], which leads to...
    - a small farmbot [on gantry in garden bed] - just for fun!

some questions to come!

2. TonyGrunk

TonyGrunk Member

estonia
    State:
    bosnia
    City:
    darwin
    wow - good stuff - will be interested in how this goes - feel free to add pics.

ps you dont know cold till you run these in canberra - tank was at 2% for a long part of winter.

3. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Go for it Emji. I hope you get it up and running.