1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Cycling problems - No Nitrates

Discussion in 'New Aquaponics systems - off-the-shelf ready to go' started by Rokku, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Rokku

Rokku New Member

I purchased a Maximus Kit and had it assembled 2 months ago. At that time I filled it with water, turned it on and added 1 cup of seasol and no plants. I then had to travel unexpectedly and left it alone for a few weeks (still pumping of course).
    When I came back I filled the beds with veggies and had my first water measurement.

Day 1
    P.H. 8.0
    Nitrite 5.0
    Nitrate 0.0
    Amonia 0.0

Over the next 13 days I used 1 tablespoon of P.H. Down and 1 capful of seasol testing daily. All the measurements basically stayed the same besides the P.H. slowly drifting down.

Day 13
    P.H. 7.2
    Nitrite 5.0
    Nitrate 0.0
    Amonia 0.0

Is it normal for the Nitrites to stay at 5.0 while no activity with Nitrates over 13 days? The weather has been quite cold recently so not sure if that would impact the colony growth.
    Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Are you using plain Seasol or Seasol Powerfeed?... Also, I would leave the pH alone the bacteria prefer it slightly alkaline... it will come down on it's own over time.

3. Rokku

Rokku New Member

Using normal seasol. I'll stop using P.H down for now and see how it goes.

4. Rokku

Rokku New Member

Day 14
    Took a picture of the readings this time but still hasn't changed over the last 13 days. Stopped using P.H. Down but continuing with 1 capful of seasol.

View attachment 16357

Also I should note that the plants have also not grown at all since day 1 and are now browning at the tips of the leaves...

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    What's your readings today Rokku...

Don't worry, It's winter....Cycling takes ages....14 days of high nitrites is a bit long but...It is cold...My trout sytem was cycled in the middle of winter and the nitrites stayed well over 5 for two weeks...Others with plant experience will be able to direct you further but...Your plants looks like mine did when I first cycled my barra system...I added salt to 1 part per thousand but I lost a heap of plants due to salt burn slightly after adding salt...Don't worry..if your plants die get some new ones in straight away...and keep cycling your system....It took me six weeks in total...

Just keep logging your test results and...Tank temps here every day...Someone should chime in...

Cheers.

6. Rokku

Rokku New Member

Day 15 (yesterday)
    P.H. 7.2
    Nitrite 5.0
    Nitrate 0.0
    Amonia 0.0

will probably get some powerfeed today to help boost the plant growth. Also want to see the amonia to nitrite conversion actually happen since first reading was already 0.0 amonia 5.0 nitrite!

Man wish i could have barra here in sydney but will have to make do with silver perch.

I'll start measuring water temp as well starting today.

7. Rokku

Rokku New Member

I thought i'd also post some pics so you can see the plant growth changes
    Day 15
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Super Moderator

Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    City:
    Adelaide
    Powerfeed is good stuff....

Just be careful with it...It can increase your ammonia levels...

You may be able to grow barra in the summer with good filtration and most importantly heating set to be used when needed...You can do a six month grow out with them...The water temps are critical...
    You may want to investigate that later, when you've learnt to drive your system now with your silvers...Silvers are supposed to be an easy fish to learn with...

Nice looking system BTW...

Cheers.

9. Rokku

Rokku New Member

Thanks bigdaddy took a while to setup!

Won't be too agressive with powerfeed just a dollop now and then.

10. Rokku

Rokku New Member

Day 16
    p.H 7.6
    Ammonia 0.25
    Nitrite 5.0
    Nitrate 5.0

Woah so surprised to see the nitrates today!! I took water samples first before adding a cup of powerfeed then tested after. Guess I didn't need to add it so I'll hold off on putting anymore in the future.

Things are getting exciting now :)

11. Robert123

Robert123 Active Member

USA
    State:
    South Carolina
    City:
    Woodruff
    Seriously Rokku. That is a very attractive build. Looks like furniture. Nicely done.

12. stvnfu

stvnfu New Member

I agree...your set up looks great. Just curious, what is the Maximus system? Do you not use fish in this system? You just use the "Feeds" to generate ammonia? Is that fish feed or just ammonia?

13. pioneer07

pioneer07 New Member

Yes your work is good nice job I agree with you…. I am very happy to read your post..keep posting

miev77 likes this.
  14. miev77

miev77 Member

Fish emulsion will help get it started as well. I used fish emulsion and some river rocks I confiscated from our local river.