1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Cooling Systems

Discussion in 'Heating or Cooling of your AP system.' started by Dee_Kenn, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Dee_Kenn

Dee_Kenn New Member

Hi all,
    Being from Victoria, I am looking forward to growing trout in the FT. Understand they will love the winter temps, but the hot days over summer can see water temps get above the low 20's C and move into possible stress and loss of fish.
    I am looking for suggestions to keep the FT cooler during the summer months.
    Like any suggestions, but am more interested in sustainable one's, like possible insulation systems around the FT. I have heard of large ice blocks from icecream containers being used with some success.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated.
    Dee
    PS
    Has anyone used a domestic wind turbine that could be linked to a water wheel system to create oxygen in the water?
    Just thinking if this would be a suitable additional back up!

2. David McP

David McP New Member

A couple of thoughts on cooling aquaponics systems I live just north of Brisbane First I have found that the larger the volume of water in the system the more stable it is two of my systems have approx 4000 lts one has approx 3500 lts since my last modifications in July last year they have been easier to control both in temp and PH Over summer I use a mist sprinkler system to cool the systems on hot days It concists of mist nozzels under the roof at approx 1 mtr spaceings that operate for 2 minuts every hour which seams to cool the air around the systems They have stayed at 24/25C all summer The water comes from water tanks I also have a couple of frames with shade cloth on which I put over GB with senstiive things like strawberries and lettice Keep fisk tanks covered David

3. Dee_Kenn

Dee_Kenn New Member

Good idea David. Simple concept. What were the temps before installing the mist system? Is the system controlled with a separate pump and timer?

4. dufflight

dufflight Member

I'm thinking of going down the local tyre place and get some free tyres. Then build a wall of them around the FT and wire them together. Paint the outside of the tyres white so they don't attract the heat. Then fill the space between them and the FT with sand. On hot days wet the sand. As it evaporates it will help cool the ft.

5. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

Tyres what ever my fish tanks are surrounded with 3 in cool room material [aluminium both sides and styrene in the center ] then buried in dirt
    On a hot day as the water gets pumped to the grow beds it heats , I have measured air temp going to the tanks 38 deg ,all those 38 deg bubbles soon heat the water
    Even some pumps warm the water [ john main at glen burn told me one of his tanks with a different pump is a few deg warmer than the next one ]
    Unless you spend dollars to heat or cool your system you are wasting your time
    just go with the flow and use whatever fish that suits you given temperature

6. dufflight

dufflight Member

My new system is going to run a ABF as its primary bio conversion so water through the gbs does not have to heat the water during the day. ABF runs via airlift cycling the water inside the tank. This is olny if I can get trout. If I find Barra then I'll have to run it a different way. But a good point on most systems that are not trying to work against environmental factors. My main fish are silvers and catfish cos they don't worry a lot about the temp. Extending growout time is also something that a few of us like to play with.

7. David McP

David McP New Member

Dee Kenn The temp in the tanks were 26/27 C when I started the mist sprays this season and have found I can maintain temp around 24/25 C The system runs off pressure pump from rain water tanks via solinoid valve and digital timer T turn system off on rainy days I believe that cooling of systems must be started before tanks get too hot as it is more difficult to bring temp down than to hold temp David

8. DaveOponic

DaveOponic New Member

As you are in Victoria, what about an evaporative cooling system? When we lived in Mildura we had a rooftop evaporative aircon unit and it worked really well. You could build a simple evaporitive unit quite cheaply that would cool the water by a few degrees.

As a suggestion, what about building a frame over the fish tank that would be covered in say canvas (?) like the old evaporative water bag. I used to hang one of these bags on the front of my BMW R90 motorbike when I crossed the Nullabor back in the 80's.

You'd probably need a fan to keep the evaporation happening. the water could be sprayed onto the canvas and drip back into the fishtank. I haven't tried it myself as my fish (Barra & Tilapia) love the near 30 deg. water temperature in Borneo.

Dave

9. newleaf150

newleaf150 New Member

Dee - H2O cooling system idea

Dee,

I am very new to the field and this forum, but have kicked around alternative heating/cooling ideas for some time. In this case, you might consider a supplemental underground cooling system if you have the space.

In essence, you dig out a fairly large, deep hole in the ground, deep enough to get down to where the Earth's normal underground temp of 27-30C is; maybe a meter or a bit more. Lay a network of plastic pipe in the bottom of the hole, such that you get the maximum possible length of pipe into the hole. Plumb it into your existing system. Depending on how you do it, you may or may not need an extra pump.

Refill the hole and start cycling water through the system. IT will absorb the Earth's natural underground temp and given sufficient pipe length, the water should be cooled nicely. While you may not end up with water quite as cool as you need, the system would save you tremendous energy by pre-cooling your water, giving your secondary cooling system less to do.

During the winter, the system would still be useful in helping maintain a constant temperature in your water, as the Earth's shallow internal temp doesn't vary much.

I hope this helps!

Matthew

10. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Hi Matthew,
    I have read much about the system you describe, it would appear to be an excellent idea particularly in parts of the world where there are extremes of temps like the north of the US, Canada and the southern areas of Australia.

I have been tempted to dig a 2 mtr deep hole and measure the temp down there....in my part of the world it is reported to be 21 to 23 c

Ideal if that is actually the case.

Cost of pipe, cost of running the pump, cost of digging the hole/trench and the space to do it are the limiting factors as I see it...but an idea that has good potential in areas of extreme temp variations.

11. Dee_Kenn

Dee_Kenn New Member

Murray and Matthew,
    sounds like this system is very much like the closed loop geo-thermal systems. Have seen some installed in homes down this way, but more usually used in commercial apps due to cost. Plenty of info on the net.
    Also interested to read some info on earth tubes recently (for homes) and home this principal could be adapted to our needs of heating and/or cooling.

DaveOponic,
    I will explore your idea further and how it can fit the system. thanks

12. Tsaphah

Tsaphah Member

Hi Dee, thats exactly what it is, a closed loop geo-thermal system.
    I read of someone in South Africa that installed one under the slab of his shed where he bred fish. The concrete also regulated the thermal mass.
    Seen a system that pumped air through mesh covered ag-pipe, had the same effect, works like evaporative cooling, just under ground.

There is another site where in the UK, they blow the warm air from the top of a green house into a mass of stones which form the floor of the green house, at night, they reverse the flow and it keeps the green house warm all night.

13. Timber

Timber New Member

Dee, I have an idea however I don't know whether it works or not. Run an air hose from an aircompressor coiled through a running fridge or freezer then into the tank. The compressor would start and stop as its air runs low, this would also airate the tank for the fish, no need for airators and (possibly) cool the water with the cold air.

Regards Timber

ps if there is any way to make this work, please reply.

14. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    The air from the air compressor would need a good oil filter on it. Most compressors have vaporised oil in the compressed air.
    I feel it would be better to run fish water through a coil in the bottom of a chest freezer. Poly hose will do it and have a thermostat that turns the pump on and off as required.

15. MalcolmC

MalcolmC New Member

I bought a new compressor from SC for $99 about a month ago. The first thing I did was drain the oil, leave it sitting for a couple of days in the hot sun to get every last drop of oil out of the compressor, then I refilled it with Olive Oil - only takes about a cupfull.

I have been running this compressor for the last two weeks with a single 2" air stone in my hospital tank. I have one 250mm barra with a sore lip that is slowly recovering in 10ppt salted water. The air runs 24/7 and the compressor runs for about 20 seconds a couple of times per hour. My mate was throwing out an engine cover for his inboard boat motor so I grabbed it and made a substantial sound proofing cage to put over the compressor. Certainly made a BIG difference to the noise levels.

Mal

16. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

Do you have a photo of it please

17. MalcolmC

MalcolmC New Member

FF Is it the air compressor or the cover you want the photo of ? Or maybe none LOL.

Mal

18. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

Just the little compresser thanks

19. MalcolmC

MalcolmC New Member

as you can see I removed the wheels and have it standing on polystyrene to stop any vibrations (noise).

The air stone in the hospital tank with patient.

Mal

Attached Files:

20. fishfood

fishfood Active Member

Thanks never heard of a comp running on olive oil wonder how long it will last