1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

commercial module with only one pump, your views please

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by Julien the Luxi, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Julien the Luxi

Julien the Luxi New Member

Saudi Arabia
    State:
    Jeddah
    City:
    Jeddah
    Hello everybody,

My name is Julien, I have been reading about aquaponics for years and watching Murray's videos and now finally I get to work on my first project. Here is a module I designed on paper, I would like to know if my theory makes sense to you experienced people.

image1.JPG
    Here are the explanations of the drawing:

1) conic fishtanks with drain at the bottom. This will make the water in the tank swirl i.e. keep in movement (I believe this is good for the fish) and all fish waste will drain away from the bottom and minimise deposit. Water is pumped out of the fishtanks through its own pressure up the pipe at N.4.

2) a valve to shut the drain

3) I assume that over time fish waste will deposit here in the angle. So here we have a cap that we can open to clean the area while valve at N.2 is shut.

4) exit pipe goes up just high enough to make sure that the fish tank would never drain more than half way down as a security

5) The water is delivered to the media grow bed acting as the first bio filter, decomposing the fish waste.

6) The media grow beds drain into a mineralization filter to stop any particles from moving along and continuing to break down whatever waste has escaped from the media grow beds.

7) The Mineralization filter drains into the sump

8) The sump is under the ground for better temperature stability and gain of space inside greenhouse

9) The pump sending the water to the DWC beds at N.10 and back to the fish tank at N.13

10)Water comes into the DWC from the sump

11 & 12) Water is drained from the DWC bed back into the sump

Please share your thoughts!

Thanks!

2. MickyD

MickyD New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    SE QLD
    Hi Julien, I am by no means an expert, just a mere learner and lurker like your self but I would have thought a swirl filter and the mineralisation tank before the media bed/s.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

3. Julien the Luxi

Saudi Arabia
    State:
    Jeddah
    City:
    Jeddah
    Hi Micky, Thank you for your input.
    I thought of the swirl filter as well, but my understanding is that the reason for the swirl filter is that in commercial systems we don't have media beds (usually). This is why the hard stuff must be removed before entering the DWC. In this case I have included media grow beds to capture the fish waste and have bacteria decompose it. As for the mineralization tank I think that what I called the mineralization filter. It's the one with the spaghetti filters as Murray describes them and the oxygen bubble stones.

Does that make sense?

4. Gratilla

Gratilla Member

I see you're in Saudi; in which case I'd guess that:

1) High temperature is an issue, and
    2) Relative humidity is quite low.

In which case I'd personally consider putting an evaporative cooling mesh (explained in more detail elsewhere on the forum) in the water circuit.

This will not only cool your water but also provide for water oxygenation. And one pump should be sufficient, if reliable.

PS Note that solubility of oxygen in water decreases with increase in temperature!

5. Julien the Luxi

Saudi Arabia
    State:
    Jeddah
    City:
    Jeddah
    Hi Gratilla,

Yes I am in Saudi that's right, expat teacher at Uni here. The project is going to be here as well.

Thank you for that input, I had never heard of an evaporative cooling mesh before. Will look it up straight away.

Thanks a lot.

More comments welcome.

6. MickyD

MickyD New Member

Australia
    State:
    QLD
    City:
    SE QLD
    Your correct Julien, as I understand it. My thinking was that as a commercial operation your fish stocking rates would be higher than a backyard operation. As such would produce greater waste. If you dont utilise a filter you will need enough media beds for the stocking density. I dont know how many your intending so quite possibly you already have this under control.

Mick

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

7. Julien the Luxi

Saudi Arabia
    State:
    Jeddah
    City:
    Jeddah
    Very good point Micky,
    Good you brought it up:
    1) Fish tank 15 cubic meter water
    2) media grow beds 9 grow beds of (4m * 1.2m * 0.3m) =9X 1.44 cubic meter = 12.96 cubic meter of media grow beds
    3) DWC 33.45 cubic meter

Does that make sense? How much should my sump be for such a system?

Any reactions on the way the water will flow through the system, does my theory about the conic tank make sense? Will all the water flow sufficiently with one pump in such a configuration?

8. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    You will need to filter in any system other than a very lightly stocked home system. If you do not your media beds will quickly become overwhelmed and cause difficulty.

9. Julien the Luxi

Saudi Arabia
    State:
    Jeddah
    City:
    Jeddah
    Thank you for your reply Murray!