1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Commercial licenses and permits et al

Discussion in 'Commercial Systems' started by Brett Feeney, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Brett Feeney

Brett Feeney New Member

Australia
    State:
    NSW
    City:
    Sydney
    Hi there,

apologies if this has been asked and answered previously, but I am interested in setting something up, commercially in northern NSW. And was wondering if anyone else has gone through the process, and come out alive to tell the tale.

I am interested in knowing the fees and licenses that may be needed just to sell the produce. And if you don't plan on selling the fish, does it make it any easier ?

cheers

Brett

2. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    Processing and selling the fish will require licences but nothing to sell produce right now. Farmers markets are possibly the best way to go.

3. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    In Victoria, a commercial AP system requires a $200/yr licence to run from Dept of Ag and Fish. They need to make sure you're not in a 100 year flood zone and also need to know you're not growing a 'pest' fish that will be released into local waterways etc.

A home based system in Vic should have a letter from them (no cost) giving you permission for the types of fish you wish to grow.

4. Murray

Murray Site Admin Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    City:
    Brisbane
    That is interesting Denandbl,
    What is the licence called? When they apply, what do they ask for....what licence name?
    Good info for Vic members.

5. denandbil

denandbil Member

Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    City:
    Grovedale
    Sorry Murray, I can't remember if it has a name. But it is only for a commercial set up.

When I started my home system, I ended up with a letter from them saying which fish I could and couldn't have. I haven't re-applied for the letter even though it's been over 5 years!