1. The Practical Aquaponics discussion forum has been in operation for the last 5 years...

We have enjoyed giving this service free of charge however ongoing increasing financial costs of running this service is making it increasingly difficult. Up until now we have resisted advertising as a means of a revenue stream to help run this forum but it has become inevitable that extra revenue is required to run this forum.

We have introduced a donate button to help offset the cost of running this forum. It is completely voluntary, but if you would like to donate, all donations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Murray..
    Dismiss Notice

Citrus trees

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussion - Other gardening systems.' started by Reece, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Reece

Reece New Member

Hi all this is not aquaponics as that is running great but Im sure someone here can tell me what is wrong with my lemon, orange, mandarine trees as they all seem to be yellowing on the leaves.
    They look healthy other than that and have had a great amount of chook manure a couple of months ago is it nutrient lock out? Here are a few picks[​IMG]

2. Reece

Reece New Member

3. Reece

Reece New Member

As you can see the old leaves are dark green

4. Reece

Reece New Member

5. Reece

Reece New Member

6. Reece

Reece New Member

7. Reece

Reece New Member

This one a little veiny

8. Reece

Reece New Member

I have also given them all a couple of doses of chelated iron

9. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    Iron is more than likely being locked out due to high pH Reece.

Perth soils are alkaline to start with, and Chicken manure is also very alkaline, compounding the problem.

Rake away any of the remaining chicken manure, then try sprinkling some Potassium Sulphate, or agricultural sulphur (I prefer to use the Potassium Sulphate) around the root zone of the tree, then mulch the root zone with about 4" of horse manure, partially composted if you can get it... when you go to collect it dig it from the middle or bottom of the pile. Then treat with a handful of both citrus fertiliser and Pot Sulphate per m2, every couple of months during Spring/Summer, watered in with some chelated iron solution.

P.S. get the manure from a small private farm that keep horses just as a hobby, If you get it from organised stables, especially racing stables, it may contain a lot of anti-biotics and worming medications, it may also have been limed, which you definitely want to avoid.

10. Reece

Reece New Member

Thanks Yabbies I was hoping you would pick up this thread, I have just gone and picked up 25kgs of potassium sulphate and will do as above when I get home.

11. Reece

Reece New Member

12. Reece

Reece New Member

I ended up with the powdered form rather than the gradual I gathered it will work quicker? and have applied it to all the trees today any idea how long till I should see the results ? Also I believe the powdered form can also be sprayed on the leaves is this worth trying or is it possible to add too much too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Yabbies4me

Yabbies4me Administrator Staff Member

Australia
    State:
    W.A.
    City:
    Perth
    It's definitely possible to add too much too soon, go easy with it.

There's no need to foliar spray, the Potassium Sulphate is to lower the pH of your soil, as is the horse manure.

It may take a month or two to see a noticeable change.

14. Reece

Reece New Member

I have checked the PH around the root zone underneath the mulch today by placing some of the dirt and distilled water in a jar mixing it up then testing with a digital PH meter and still seems to be over 8, I'm wondering if I should just add some more pot sulphate.